Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard295_gw

average engine life of intek twin

richard295
12 years ago

Assuming good maintenance and no accidents (like hitting a stump,etc), what is the average engine life? Could you ever get 1200 hours out of something like a briggs intek?

Comments (11)

• fisher40037
    12 years ago

Mostly not, unless you put some real money into it.

Fish

• briggsgalaxieman
    12 years ago

I have a 26 hp Intek (446777-244-E1) with 800 hours in a Craftsman GT5000. Good maintenance. Still runs like new. Does not burn any oil between 25 hour changes. All hours have been in our HOT South Florida climate. I don't think 1200 hours will be any problem....

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Yes. these engines die mainly because of eating dirt via a leak at the airfilter seal, (depending on version) cooling fins that aren't cleaned and oil/oil filter/airfilter changes that happen too infrequently. Watch over these items and be attentive to other maintenance needs and hope for 2000 hours.

• bluemower
    12 years ago

From the 1966 briggs update, Briggs used to test sample engines for 1000 hours. This was easy to achieve because the engine was given all required maintenance.

A mower engine operates in extreme hot and dirty conditions. As Tomplum stated, the cooling fins collect dirt - that acts like an insulating blanket. Dirt finds a way into the intake system and the crankcase. Ethanol fuel increases combustion temperatures that will cause valve faces to deteriorate and valve seats to loosen. Sometimes the valve guides to slide out. When ethanol fuel is stored in a mower, the alcohol can sometimes seperate from the gasoline. When this occurs, the fuel becomes less volitile and the alcohol attracts moisture from the atmosphere and from rubber goods such as hoses and diaphrams.

In addition to the engine problems, other parts such as pulley bearings, belts, hoses, spindles. brackets, seats and deck hangars start to give out. I seldom see hourmeters on homeowner mowers with over 400 - 500 hours.

Most homeowers buy a new mower instead of spending to maintain the old mower.

• fisher40037
    12 years ago

The Intek Twins have had a Hoard of failures, mostly valve area failures, but to proclaim them as "flawless" would be a huge "LIE".

Bluemower, 1996 update?

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Briggs said years ago that the standard aluminum bore engine would run a 1000+ hours properly maintained. The OP didn't really say why he was seeking an opinion. Was he buying new? The air filtration and hopefully valve guide issues are fixed. Replacing cylinder heads, tho inconvenient, and somewhat upsetting when you need to foot the bill- doesn't really take away from the life span of the engine. I've heard some scuttlebutt that from time to time, some mechanical things need repair on occasion.

• mownie
    12 years ago

***"I've heard some scuttlebutt that from time to time, some mechanical things need repair on occasion."***
    And I have made a career for myself based on the premise that machines will never be made to endure everything forever.

• Chuck Meyst
    6 years ago

We've had our 2348 since 2009 and it shows 4745 hours. Late last fall it started blowing smoke and our repair service said the lower crankshaft seal was leaking and dropping oil on the mufflers. $350 or so to repair it but not always successful. Here in Virginia I can't imagine anyone being happy with just 1200 hours. What is someone meant to do at that point? New engine? We've also been having trouble with the mowing deck bearings needing replacement.. Our plan is to purchase a new comparable Husky or a Cub Cadet.

• briggsgalaxieman
    6 years ago

Before I comment, what is a 2348? What engine is in your mower? 4745 hours...WOW you ought to be really happy!

• Chuck Francis
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I second what tomplum says - if you maintain your engine with quality maintenance parts, you'll have no problem. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I buy parts from Outdoor Power Direct. They have good free freight promotions every once and a while and ship quickly.

Sponsored