Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere L120 Stops Running - 9/21/08

Posted by deere_driver (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 21:16

My 5yr old L120 stops after just a few minutes of running, then only runs for 20 to 30 seconds with each subsequent start. It has a Briggs & Stratton 20hp INTEK twin engine which just had the carburetor rebuilt by JD to solve this problem. After the rebuild, the tractor was used to cut the lawn 5 times over a period of 5 weeks, then the problem surfaced again.

Along with the rebuild, new plugs, fuel filter, oil, and air filter were replaced.

The engine runs longer while on choke, but still eventually dies. I have sprayed carb cleaner into the carb and it will raise the rpms but eventually will die after a few seconds. I have tested the fuel pump - seems to be fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere L120 Stops Running - 9/21/08

Fuel tank vent?

o

I would agree w/ bill here to start. Don't over-tighten your cap adn make sure the vent hole is not clogged. Try a toothpick or fine needle and see if it passes thru. A similar thing happened to me with my snowblower. I can not tighten the (ventless, not sure why) cap all the way or it dies.

o

Yes, thas was one of the first things I checked on the first round with this problem. Just to be sure, in the morning I'll loosen the cap and give it another try.

I'm going to run over to the JD service center and talk to them about it.

Thank you both very much.

o

If the carb rebuild seemed to solve the problem- have you pulled the bowl to see if there is some debris that found it's way into the carb and is causing it to re-occur? I would pull the fuel filter and run a cup of fuel out where you can inspect that a) you have good flow and b) no debris behind the filter. I assume JD did the filters?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here