Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! How do I remove the input pulley

Posted by dano_user_4dcc76a032a93 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 21:19

Hey all - I have a Craftsman (MTD) lawn tractor, and I need to pull the input pulley (to replace the drive belt and hydro fan). The tranny is a hydrosatic unit. I can't seem to find any way to 'lock' the input shaft to be able to remove the nut holding on the pulley and fan.

I've tried about everything I can think of with no success. There are no holes in the pulley itself, and there doesn't seem to be any clearance below the pulley to get any other sort of tool in to hold it in place.

If it helps, you can view the parts drawing here. In this drawing, the pulley is part #42.

I will be immensely grateful for any info. I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to open up the tranny to do this. Thanks a ton!

dan
///

This post was edited by dano_user_4dcc76a032a93 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 21:22

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! How do I remove the input pulley

If you're just replacing the drive belt you don't need to remove the fan and pulley from the trans.

If you are replacing the fan then an electric or air impact is the tool to use. you can buy a nice electric impact at Harbor Freight for under $40 when on sale. You'll find lots of uses for it once you have one.

The pulley is on a splined shaft so light tapping under each edge of the pulley will dislodge it. A little anti-seize on the splines before reassembling is a good idea and make sure you torque the nut to specification.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 22:18

If you need to keep the pulley from turning, one way to accomplish this would be with a broken drive belt and a "vise-grip" tool. The idea is to wrap a section of belt around the pulley, gather the two ends together, and clamp on the vise-grip, so the belt is tight around the pulley. You should be able to hold onto the vise-grip pliers, and prevent the pulley from rotating, as you loosen the nut.

o

Wow, it's amazing how simple something goes with the right tool! The impact wrench worked perfectly, probably took longer to get the compressor up to pressure than to actually get the nut off.

Poor design for the input pulley, could've been SO much easier with just a hole in the pulley to jam in a center punch, but oh well, it's down now, thanks a ton for the help!

dan
///

o

"Poor design for the input pulley, could've been SO much easier with just a hole in the pulley to jam in a center punch..."

Rather than the manufacturer expecting that anyone who decided to work on their tractor would have the right tools for the job... REALLY? Sounds like you had the impact but just didn't drag it out.

How did you lock the pulley so you could torque the nut to specification?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here