Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Briggs overheated

Posted by a-c_homesteader WI (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 21:35

Hey guys. Didn't know it at first but mice had built a nest in the engine on my Simplicity 728. It hadn't been ran in a week so there pretty fast. Anyway yesterday I go to mow and after 20-25 minutes I noticed the engine started to get hot and lose power so I shut it off right away and removed the blower housing and found a big ol' mouse nest made of grass and insulation. I cleaned it out, let the engine cool, and checked the oil (Havoline 10W-30) and it was still full. I fired it back up and finished up and did some more and all seems well. Do you think it did any damage to the engine? Its an Briggs 8hp I/C and I have Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and oil.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Briggs overheated

  • Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 22:16

Good job, you likely caught it soon enough to avoid any damage. This should be an annual task.


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

Good catch. You saved your motor. Nearly the same thing happened to my Craftsman with a one-lung B&S. Three years later, it still runs fine.

Check your wiring, though. On another occasion, mice chewed my spark-plug wire down to the copper. A spare rubber fuel line hose split down the middle fixed that one.

I now use "moth-ball" closet hangers to keep the mice out. You know...the plastic ones with a "urinal cake" inside. I hang one under the hood next to the motor whenever the mower's not in use. Each hanger lasts about a month.

Peace,

Marco


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

a/c: Wow good save as has been indicated. Check your oil colour has it changed significantly , (darkened) if not do not fret . When engines overheat normally you will see excessive oil contamination from Thermal Breakdown , any sludge is broken down and will change the colour and texture (viscosity) from normal . I would offer a educated guess that with your knowledge level you change your oil religiously and will know by visual inspection if the overheating was serious. Dump your oil as a precaution and check out further for electrical damage as has been recommended ! :)


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

Ewalk: Oil color is the same as before it happend and it didn't use a drop. I change it in spring and in fall. I mowed the rest of the yard and leveled the driveway with the belly blade attachment I have for it and it was running 2 hours non stop and didn't use a drop of oil


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

a/c : All is Well that ends well Bro ! Good to hear that
No Serious Repercussions Prevail , I would think Your Good Ta Go !! :)


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

Found another nest in it today but cleaned it out before I fired it up today to move some snowmobiles


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

Time for D-con! And moth crystals in an old sock draped across the cold engine.


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

Had a pickup that was only driven on week ends,so one weekend it wouldn't start,checked and and found mice had chewed up 6 plug wires.(anti static kind,with no hard wire) Left moth balls on manifold and no more mice.


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

A friend kept his classic cars in the same garage with open bags of dog and cat food. many times when I worked on them there was rodent damage and nests. If you can keep the mower and food in different places or in a sealed bin, the mice may not come around. An overkill solution may be a plastic bag you can store cars and motorcycles in. You drive drive the vehicle onto the bag , zip it up and plug in a 12 volt fan that blows it up with filtered air. Good for keeping mold and mildew at bay.


 o
RE: Briggs overheated

Our home is situated in a woods full of oak trees! This fall, we are over-run with acorns. Can't walk anywhere without stepping on them. Squirrels are rubbing their paws together. But, they must not have any more storage places, as the 'corns are still plentiful!


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here