Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawnboy_10525

Sand Poured In Tractor Engine Oil

lawnboy_10525
11 years ago

Neighbor boy - you know where this is going - decides to pour sand from our sand box down into the dipstick / fill tube.

The patient is a 20 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV in a John Deere L120 Automatic.

This engine has an oil filter.

I'm soliciting suggestions for remedying this problem, preferably without removing the engine, disassembling, cleaning, reassembling, etc.

He did the same to the gasoline tank. I will probably remove the tank, dump the gas out through a coffee filter, flush the tank and reuse the fuel.

The engine oil situation is where I need some brainstorming ideas.

Regards from Andy in Friendswood, Texas

a.k.a. lawnboy_10525

Comments (25)

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

I would drain out the oil, then remove the engine from the machine. Go buy a sump gasket, then turn engine upside down, remove the sump, and sop up any sand and oil in the sump. Carefully clean any oil from the inner engine parts. I would let the sumpless block sit in the sun, to dry out. Allow to dry well, then using compressed air--blow out any grit left in the block. Before doing this, make sure all of the valves are closed. Also, there are several holes that could allow sand to get into the block.
    Heck, ya have nothing to lose! Might as well give it a try, but you can always junk it, if it doesn't work. I wouldn't give up without a fight! What did the kids' Dad say about it?
    I would remove the head-s too, but thats your choice.

• lawnboy_10525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rusty,
    Thanks for the quick response and the detailed suggestion.
    We have great neighbors and the dad will help with labor or money as necessary.
    Regards,
    Andy in Friendswood
    a.k.a., lawnboy_10525

• mownie
    11 years ago

*** What did the kids' Dad say about it?
    I would remove the head-s too, but thats your choice.***
    rusty, I know I would like to remove the kid's head too but the law probably will not like that.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I'd ask the kid's dad how he wants to remedy it with the proviso that if the engine doesen't work properly he buys a new engine. Or give him the option to mow your lawn for the next 5 years. In most jurisdictions a parent's liability for the damage done by their child is $3000. but fortunately that will buy a pretty decent lawn tractor and pay for the cost of litigation.

• bluemower
    11 years ago

Was the engine started after the sand was poured in?

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Yes, that is the real question-if it had been run. If so, the conversation gets a lot more serious. If not, certainly the engine gets split, cleaned and resealed anyways. You want to be smart about this and if are uncertain about doing it yourself, then have it done. The tank will need to come out and if the tractor hasn't been run- the lines should be Ok as these pick fuel out the top of the tank. If so, fuel line is cheap!

• lawnboy_10525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Guys,
    The engine had not been run. We left the house for just a bit and came back to find the tractor hood up and the sandbox lid off. I noticed the dipstick in its disengaged position and then sand in the tube and on the frame and the ground.
    Then I saw the sand on the gas tank. Opened the gas cap and - no surprise here - lots of sand at the bottom of the tank.
    I put the keys up so it won't be started.
    Andy in Friendswood
    a.k.a. lawnboy_10525

• krnuttle
    11 years ago

If you are absolutely sure of which kid did the dirty work ie sandy work. Then I would take it down to the local John Deere tractor place tell them what happen, and have the engine cleaned out. I would then give the bill to the parents.

There is no need to try remedial remedies and risk the tractor. ie do it right the first time.

Another source of money for the repair is your insurance company that carries your home owner insurance. Call them as part of your home owners there is probably vandalism coverage.

You may have to report the vandalism to the local police department. If nothing else it would put the fear of GOD in the kid.

• baymee
    11 years ago

Here's what I would do. Probably most of the sand is in the fill tube and a little pile under it in the sump. Drain the oil and then remove the fill tube.

Suck out whatever sand you can get and then fill the sump with kerosene. Drain, refill with kero and few times and then cross your fingers.

Whatever sand you don't get, hopefully none remains, will lay on the bottom of the engine

• walt2002
    11 years ago

Naw, engine has to be torn down and cleaned thoroughly. Anything less is courting disaster.

Walt Conner

• mownie
    11 years ago

I concur with Walt.
    It was not your fault that the sand was poured in.....but it will be your fault if you do not open this engine up and clean it out properly.

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Good thing that kid doesn't belong to me!! He wouldn't sit down for a week-sore nether region!

• rcbe
    11 years ago

Well, Rusty.. since our big bro gvmnt is now seeing fit to make it illegal to spank yer kids do we see child-proof fuel and dipstick caps coming soon on our favorite riders?
    think about it.... m/w, agree with the resident gurus - that engine has to be torn down to the bare bones and seriously cleaned - wouldn't take much of that grit to trash that running engine right quick.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

This is an interesting thread to watch. Mechanically decisions seem clear enough. You seem to have a good relationship with the neighbor and hoping not to make a big deal out of it. Who does what and who pays for what hopefully doesn't have to become an area of contention. When it is all fixed up, hopefully both families will look back at this and laugh for decades to come. I still get razzed for starting my dad's Studebaker, whilst it was being filled with gas none the less- then driving through a neighbor's fence. I was 4....

• baymee
    11 years ago

Yeah, it reminds me of my childhood too. We went to visit my grandfather's homestead and we played with the shades in their Ford Model A. You know....pull them down and let them fly up. They were all shredded when we were done.

• lawnboy_10525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Baymee's response makes a nice balance between an appropriate level of cleaning for a twelve-year old engine and keeping the peace with my neighbor and friend.

''Drain the oil and then remove the fill tube.
    Suck out whatever sand you can get and then fill the sump with kerosene. Drain, refill with kero a few times and then cross your fingers.''

This engine's lubrication system surely is debris tolerant enough to get the residual sand through the filter. The filter should take care of it from that point - otherwise what good is the filter system?

I might take the Baymee's flushing idea to the next level by using a remote filter-pump combo. Hook up hoses to the oil drain and oil fill and circulate kerosene/mineral spirits/Rislone through a remote filter. I'll take a sample occasionally until the fluid runs clean. Sludge isn't the issue here, so maybe a solvent isn't necessary.

I might use straight MEG (antifreeze) with the idea that the viscosity will drag out the sand. The MEG contains a corrosion inhibitor, so I won't ruin anything. A follow-up flush with straight 40-weight will take out the MEG. Or perhaps just flush with 40-weight. MEG has the advantage of low cost and disposability.

Knuttle's idea of taking it to the dealer is of course the most direct approach. Walt and Mownie express that this course of action has the advantage of transferring some liability to the dealership if the engine is trashed a week later.

And TomPlum, we already look back and laugh and tell stories to everyone we know from Sunday School to work to teachers, etc. He is a legend already.

Anyone have ideas for pumps?

Andy in Friendswood
    a.k.a. lawnboy_10525

• optsyeagle
    11 years ago

A possible suggestion. What type/model of lawn tractor does your neighbour have and what condition is it in? Perhaps a simple switch might suffice. That way, he can make all the decisions on how far he wants to go to clean up this mess and you can get on with cutting grass.

• lawnboy_10525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Optsyeagle,
    I like that as a consideration. I say to him, give me $700 and take the tractor, it's your problem. I take his Murray with the flat tire, pump up the tire, then Craigslist his mower for another $500.
    Then I go buy a new John Deere X360 for $5000.
    Andy in Friendswood
    a.k.a. lawnboy_10525

• lawnboy_10525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Used tractor prices.
    John Deere X360 just for approximate values of an upgrade replacement.
    John Deere L120 value is around $200 - $1000.
    http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6970723&;

Here is a link that might be useful: John Deere X360 Sample Prices

• lawnboy_10525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Go to the link below to see photos of the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: First of Four Photos

• tomplum
    11 years ago

He sanded it up real good! You could check a local shop for comparison, tho a new tractor is always appealing. My guess of repair is ~ 5 hours of labor to RnR the engine to clean & reseal the sump plus pull the tank and flush that out. We speak of tear down as a little bit of sand, well you know. Plus the oil pump is sitting at the bottom. These are good for the sump gaskets failing anyways. Food for thought.

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    11 years ago

Nothing less than pull the engine and take it apart....then take apart the kid at the same time.

• optsyeagle
    11 years ago

The reason I suggested the trade is because whatever you do with it now, you will never really know if it is 100% fixed (which I doubt it ever will be). It most likely may work for a while but it's degredation will arise in new problems down the line (probably big nasty problems). I doubt he is going to want to continually pay for future repairs which he will never really know were related to the sand or not. Just mention that problem to him. He should understand.

I imagine he just hopes you go away and the problem dissappears but for you it never will until you get rid of that mower. He really should give you a market price for it and let you get on with your life. He can then get on with his.

As for the kid. Someone needs to watch him a lot closer and that person certainly is not you. Good luck.

• baymee
    11 years ago

I do like the idea of a constant recirculation of solvent. I didn't know you would go to that level. I'm not against anybody elses advice either.

It doesn't sound like it was done with malice and if it cost me $500 at the shop to have it cleaned right, it's much cheaper than having a bad relationship with my neighbor.

• jeffinia
    11 years ago

I agree , Pull the engine and clean it. I also would THROW away the gas! Why take a chance running it through a filter and reusing it ??

Sponsored