Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lundys_gw

Used Simplicity 4211 - Good deal?

lundys
14 years ago

I just built a shed on my property, and I am in the market for a smaller-sized used riding mower (I have about 0.4 acres).

I found someone selling a Simplicity 4211 riding mower w/ bagger. It has a 12hp briggs & stratton engine, with 5 speed manual transmission. They report that it has "electric start, fresh oil change & lube, headlights work, and tires hold air. Starts, runs and cuts great."

They are asking for $435 for the mower and the bagger, and they'll deliver.

What are your thoughts? Is this a good deal? Good mower? Keep in mind that I am not the most handy person, and if something went wrong I'd have to pay someone to come to my place and fix it (b/c I also have no truck to take it somewhere). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments (7)

• corvetteguy
    14 years ago

If I were not a handy person I would probably
    keep away from a used lawn tractor. Or you
    if you do buy one you will probably become
    handy. If you know the history, age, owner of the
    used machine you might get a good deal.

But advertising that the mower has an "oil change"
    and "lights work" is really meaningless. Unless you
    plan on cutting grass in the dark and never check
    or change the oil. I am not sure what a "lube"
    is on a used mower. But most mowers have two
    grease fittings on the axle.

For your small use I would suggest looking at the
    box stores for an end of season deal and use their
    delivery. I would read the user manual cover to
    cover and follow the recommendations.
    A bagger is not really necessary unless you
    have neighbors who object to an occasional leaf coming
    from your lawn.

• lundys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi corvetteguy,

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I was thinking the bagger was helpful for was to help gather leaves in the fall instead of raking them all up (not to bag the grass).

Do you have any thoughts on the reliability of this particular brand/model, and/or if this specifically is a good price or not?

Thanks again,
    -Steve

• corvetteguy
    14 years ago

There is not much difference in the quality
    of vertical engines in the 12 to 18 hp range.
    If I were going to consider such a priced used
    12 hp mower I would feel that the motor is cold,
    then try to start, If it starts on first revolution
    (with choke) and runs at idle (choke off) that is
    a plus. If the motor is hot when you get there, he
    has started it and you won't be able to see how / if
    it starts cold.
    I assume you cant do a compression test.
    If the blades engage without all kinds of noise
    easily that is a plus. If the deck rattles that is
    a minus.
    Does height adjustment work good.?
    Are blades tight?
    Are belts cracked?
    Are tires cracked?
    Is steering tight?
    Is seat ripped?
    Is motor greasy?
    I would run the mower and deck for 10 minutes.
    Then turn off and try to start again.

For price information the Simplicity 4211 comes up
    as a 20 hp machine Simplicity must have reused
    the same model number.
    (see attachment)

SIMPLICITY 4211 SIMPLICITY 4211 SIMPLICITY 4211 SIMPLICITY 4211
    SIMPLICITY 4211 SIMPLICITY 4211 SIMPLICITY 4211

Equipment Specifications
    Manufacturer SIMPLICITY
    Model 4211
    Price US $2,500
    Location Myerstown, Pennsylvania
    Condition Used
    Horsepower 20
    Stock Number 13884

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplicity 4211

• jeffinia
    14 years ago

Sounds like a fair price to me. I have 2 of the 4211 mowers and if all you want to do is mow and pull a cart or maybe ad a snowblower you cant go wrong. Ive had 1 of mine for over 20 years and it cuts just as good now as it did when it was new. offer him a little less maybe start around 350. if everything is in good shape , these mowers are simple to work on and tough as nails!
    {{gwi:317414}}

• wasmeneh
    14 years ago

I have had one for about 5 years. Mine is the hydro verson. I like mine a lot. There are a couple things that might be important to you.

If you have grass that requires itself to be cut long (tall fescue for example) This mower may not be for you. It seems that it's height adjustment doesn't allow for too high cutting.

I put a blower assist on my bagger to make sure that it picks up well. Most rear baggers tend to get clogged in heavy grass or leaves, since the chute is fairly long. With the optional power assist (runs off a belt drive pulley) she picks up about anything and throws it in the bag. I ran over a seven inch steel weed puller the other day and it bent it up and threw it in the bag.

Mike

• Greg Goyeneche
    14 years ago

I've got a 4211H which is similar to yours except for the Eaton hydro. Reasonably good machine. Simple 11hp Briggs & Stratton. My concern would be age of the machine, since you say your not especially handy. Most 4211's and 4208's (same but 8hp) are from the mid to late 1980's, which means yours is approaching 25 years old.

I'm OK with older stuff because I do my own maintenance and have several machines (Simplicity, Bolens hydro, Deere RER, Craftsman 4000) and can move to another if I have problems.

As for bagging, the long chute on almost all lawn tractors is prone to plugging. See if you have "high lift" blades on your mower, and if not see if Simplicity makes available. They increase air flow and improve bagging, but do raise more dust. However, bottom line is that you can't expect to bag well and not clog up if leaves are grass are wet. Even morning dew will cause problems.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville