Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r1campr

JD x500, 2009. Looking for advice

r1campr
10 years ago

Hi all,
Ive been looking to get a used garden tractor, with differential lock. Nearest dealer with used tractors is an hour away. I saw a 2009 x500 there, 48 inch deck. Didnt have much time to look it over real good, or test drive it yet, but it has 180 hrs on it. with price of 3900 on it. I noticed the cooling fan for the transaxle had at least some fins broke off. Could that be a problem even if i put a new fan on it? Like if the tranny was overheated? Could i tell by the color of the oil? My guess is someone backed into a tree branch or something to break the fins off. I dont know if the dealer has any service records on it.
I have about 1 1/2 acres to mow, a few places have long slopes with max 13 degrees, so im thinking a garden tractor with differential lock my be needed. I also have a few swails on the fairly level part below the slopes and figure a 48 inch deck may scalp less. also i plan to get a shovel or grader blade for it. The x500 is at the top of my budget, i was first looking at a new husqvarna gt48xls, but figured i would see what kind of john deeres may be out there for what i have to spend. The way the jd model numbers go, its been kinda confusing searching for a used garden tractor. anyone know which jd s have diff lock and can handle a plow or blade? Ive heard some have a plastic cam gear that needs replaced, but i dont know which model and year its on.
Its a tough decision to buy lower quality new or higher quality used and may have to wrench on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Garage Door Repair in Loudoun County, VA