Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Craftsman lawn tractor-freebie

rustyj14
10 years ago

A feller gave me his old dark green Craftsman lawn tractor today. Sez it runs great, but will only turn to the left. Sez i could get the thing stuck some place where i'd have to turn right, or drive into the crick!
So, i checked it out. Found a severe lack of lubricant on the steering sector gears, and that caused the gear teeth to deform, making the right turn impossible. Now, that guy is in charge of some power equipment at our Fire Company--how could he not see the thing needed grease, long ago?!

Comments (9)

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago

Check the route from the fire house to your place and make sure you don't have to make any right turns to get there.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, Roller Girl... He's the guru that can teach you how to detect a cracked battery !!!!! Treat him kindly....

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

Maybe he was a NASCAR fan. Glad you're still kicking Rusty.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guess I'll be needing the cast gear and quadrant gear that is mounted on the flat part of the frame. I guess its called the quadrant gear, and the other gear is on the steering shaft. The gear teeth look like old Granny's false teeth-all worn down! Any idees on cost? (General cost) My supplier can't find anything out yet about the parts.) I don't want to fix the rest of it, and then find out if parts are not available. This is the old dark green series. Also-not a Nascar fan! I cut my teeth on Model T and A cars, then home-built racers. Cut down panel trucks and made pickem-ups from them. Rebuilt some wrecked/ totalled cars, and used them for many years. So, here i am at 88+ years, and just can't quit! Cheers! Rusty J.

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

I thought the previous owner may have been a NASCAR fan since the mower will only turn left. I used to love NASCAR when it was real. Now it's just a show. As far as parts, you may want to try McMaster Carr, thye have a pretty good selection. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mcmaster carr

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, fellers, for the good tips, and good thoughts! Yes, i'm still fixing things. Now that my wife has passed--i have lots of time on my hands, so i'm getting the shop ready for winter. Gots 2 fume-proof heaters down there, and a Kero in case the others fail
    I must get the tractors stuffed away in the shed out back. Can't do that until the danged leaves have all fallen.
    I got one of the steering parts for the freebie tractor, rest will be in tomorrow.
    Some dame called today-said she was coming here to check on me. Dunno why! Said something about health insurance. Probably try to sell me more ins. Gotta watch those people. Heck--ifn i croak, nobody will get rich! Least of all--me! b/d1924

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

Man Rusty, you've seen a lot of change over the years. I can't imagine. I put in a ventless gas heater in my shop a few years ago. I truly love it. Best thing about it is the water from combustion stays in the room so you get a humidifer with the heater for free. Other people have complained about the smell. It does not bother me. My skin loves the extra moisture in the winter months.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, i got the parts today. Got tractor into the garage. Started on the job. Looks easy enough. Did one years back. I have a light duty snow plow to install on it. The mower deck that came with it has some missing parts. Deck good, and spindles work ok, but other parts are not there. Couple pulleys. Has a good Kohler engine on it. I like freebies! Have to fix it-i'd never make it to Fire Hall, with it not turning!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the deck fixed. Now i must get the broken parts welded back to their correct positions. Somehow, the adjustable pulley plate got bent away from the main part of the deck. This guy's sons are sportsy types, and wouldn't know a wrench from a tea-cup! I think they must of pried the plates up with a large rod, or sump'n. I finally figgered it out today, and tomorrow, i'll get the deck in the garage, and start on it. There is a belt diagram on a sticker.
    To that deal, a guy got me to look at his lawn tractor-said he couldn't make the belt go on right. So, i found that the factory had stuck the routing label, on the under-side of the foot board, on backwards! HMMM!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County