Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grassmaster_gw

Windshield fluid or antifreeze in Tires?

grassmaster
16 years ago

Which is best for liquid weight in tires: windshield washer fluid or antifreeze (engine coolant)?

Comments (20)

• johnsinva
    16 years ago

I used Antifreeze for ballasting my tires (2 gallons per tire + water to fill) but WW fluid seems to be more popular in that it is more eco-friendly. Either works well, and the fluid used is only a concern if it becomes necessary to remove the fluid for any reason.

• tom_k_de
    16 years ago

Just make sure the inner tubes are in good shape,so what ever water/anti freeze mixture is used,does not attack the metal wheels/rims. FYI.

• grassmaster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No innner tube-- tubeless tires!

• don21
    16 years ago

I think windshield washer fluid is preferred because rubber doesn't get along well with antifreeze many times - It would certainly shorten the life of your tires

"The difficulties with rubber is that it is vulnerable to abrasion and is prone to deteriorate when exposed to matters such as ultra violet light, water and chemicals like oil, petrol, salt and anti-freeze"

Don

• tom_k_de
    16 years ago

Guess my post was a "hint"...

• grassmaster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Engine coolant/antifreeze ought to get along fine with rubber and steel-- doesn't it have to get along with them just fine in the cooling system with rubber hoses, seals, etc.?

I'm not trying to argue here--I just want to try to understand if one fluid is better than the other. I know that I don't want to use calcium chloride in garden tractor tires.

What about RV antifreeze?

• marineguy
    16 years ago

You can put tubes in tubeless tires. I highly recommend you do it just so that there is no risk of the bead breaking loose while running at low pressures (imagine the mess that would make with filled tires).
    I had to put a tube in my tubeless tire because I slashed the sidewall.

• cherokee_140
    16 years ago

They have been using antifreeze in tires for weight for a VERY long time. My uncle used antifreeze in the JD70 back in the 50's. I still have the tractor and it is still on the original rims.

• mownie
    16 years ago

If you have any concerns of "toxicity" about using automotive antifreeze/coolant, you can purchase the "enviro-safe", Propylene glycol based type instead of the poisonous Ethylene glycol based type.

• grassmaster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Still wonder if there are any other concerns or considerations and which is best one to use.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

Windshield wiper fluid is safe and cheap. I consider it a no brainer.

-Deerslayer

• stripped_threads
    16 years ago

I just bought a can of "seal and inflate" tire goop for the ATV in case I get a flat 30 miles from nowhere...again! I think it fills the tire with a solid substance. I wonder if that would work? You'd never get a flat again.
    It meant to be used after you pop a flat, but might be good for your purpose, or mayby not...any ideas?

• rustyj14
    16 years ago

Wal, let me say this: Dribblin' that there anti friz in thru that tiny hole in the tire valve sure ain't my idear of how to spend my day off! My old woman was crabbin about how much time i was a-spendin, hunched over that tarr, and my old back hurt fer a week! Surely, somebody must of come out with a better way, ain't they?

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

"Surely, somebody must of come out with a better way, ain't they?"

People who use windshield wiper fluid often fill tires by laying the tire on the ground, breaking the bead, then pouring the fluid between the tire and the rim.

-Deerslayer

• chowdahed
    16 years ago

This is probably a real dumb question(s) but have to ask. I've heard about putting antifreeze in the tires, with or without tubes, but how much freeze do you put in and do you inflate the rest with the reccomended air pressure? What is the actual process? Does it really help with traction in the winter? Do you still use wheel weights/chains if you need to?

• messmaker
    16 years ago

I used five gallons of windshield W. fluid in each back 23" tire. It worked fine, cost next to nothing and was easy to do(broke bead and poured it in. Took 10 Minutes).It made an unbelievable difference. The extra traction can get you in trouble so use care, especially at first.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

"but how much freeze do you put in and do you inflate the rest with the reccomended air pressure?"

The consensus seems to be no more than 75% fluid. Some air is needed. Without air the tires will ride like rocks because fluid doesn't compress.

Yes, inflate to your normal air pressure. Remember to check air pressure with the valve at the top. If it's at the bottom, fluid will enter your air gauge.

BTW, they make special air gauges for reading pressure at the bottom of fluid filled tires. If you have a full size farm tractor with tires several feet high, pressure should be checked at the bottom. This is because the weight of the fluid significantly changes the pressure. With LT and GT tires, tire height is not an issue.

-Deerslayer

• montana3
    15 years ago

How does one get the fluid into a tire w/ an innertube? Or where can I go to have someone else put the fluid into the tire?

• butchs_hobby
    15 years ago

Down here freezing isn't a worry, I filled mine with plain water straight out of the faucet. I've got the adopter that hooks a garden hose to the valve stem. It makes a world of difference in traction and stability. If I worried about freezing though I'd use windshield washer fliud, it's cheap and available at any parts store. Mine are tubeless, had them fliud filled for over ten years. Got a nail in one back tire on my ole Massey(been there almost three years), guess I ought to fix that one of these days!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022