Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
americanfight

Craftsman YTS 3000 Starting Issue

AmericanFight
9 years ago

Went out to mow today and mower wouldn't start. It's about 6 years old. Everything is still original equipment.

When I turned the key I got nothing. I assumed a dead battery. I charged it for about 30 minutes. When I then tried to start it it got a steady click click click from the solenoid as long as I turned the key. The starter gear was only jumping like a quarter of an inch or so every 5 clicks or so.

I then checked the voltage at the battery with a multimeter and it read 12v. I figured it may be a bad solenoid and went and grabbed one. After I installed the new solenoid I got the same clicking. When I measure the battery voltage this time it read a little over 9V. I checked voltage on the solenoid battery side and it read the same at 9V. However, when I turned the key and got the clicking the starter side of solenoid was only showing like .220mV so super low which was it seems causing the clicking. Not enough crank to turn it.

Am I correct in assuming a mower battery can show 12v but not have the cranking amp to turn the starter?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery