Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bushleague

John Deere GX345 opinions

bushleague
14 years ago

Hey a guy has a John Deere up on c.l. for short money, a 2002 with 532 hours in nice shape, garaged good plastics. I searched a couple of tractor sites and they want phone numbers for these, most are in Mid and upper midwest (something in the water out there?), are they really $7,000 new? Thanks!

Comments (5)

• nysff
    14 years ago

A quick search shows list on the GX345 was at least $7K, might have been $8K or slightly higher. I think the current X540 is in the same category and it's list is $7,600. I think I saw the same tractor - $2,500? There's a GX345 on eBay from a dealer right now, 340 hours for $3995. 532 hours since 2002 is 80 or so hours a year - that's a fair amount for residential in New England - how big a lot were they mowing? At least they are reasonable about their price and I don't think it is that low. I was in the market for a used GT series this Spring and came across a few GX that I looked at. The GX owners were much more desperate in my opinion - what's the demand out there for $7K garden tractors? I probably could have had a nice condition GX335 I looked at for say $3400-3500 with 200 hours or so, so I don't think $2,500 for 532 hours in that low.
    Good luck.

• superturbodiesel
    14 years ago

Yeah, they were well OVER $7,000 when new. I think over $8,000 would actually be more accurate.

They are absolutely GREAT Lawn & Garden Tractors.

Even the older John Deere 345 models were/are great machines. (No GX prefix.)

With the older 345's (built during the 1990's), just be sure that you have proof that the camshaft has been replaced if the tractor has under 1,000 hours on the meter. Otherwise it's a gamble. Many of the older Kawasaki liquid-cooled V-twins had a tendency to shear the rivets that held the phenolic (plastic) gear onto the steel camshaft on many of those powerplants from 300 to 1000 hours. If the machine you are looking at has over 1,000 hours, then it's a pretty safe bet that you won't have any camshaft or motor problems.

The replacement camshafts (all steel) permantly fixed that problem, and then the tractors were known to run and perform great for several thousand hours after that.

Worst case scenario... $1,200 for a cam job. That includes a new water pump and professionally done. I bought all the parts and fixed my myself in one day for under $400.

Anyhow... on the used market, a good 345 or GX345 is worth between $1,500 and $5,000 depending upon age, condition, wear, & options/attachments. Sometimes older machines are worth more. Overall condition really does make a huge difference in what any LGT is worth.

I have an "older" 1997 JD 345 with a 54" deck and super low hours (under 400 hours) and I wouldn't dream of selling it for less than $3,500.

Ironically, I have a 1991 JD 322 with a 50" deck also, and it is easily worth as much or more than my 345. Quality holds value.

My grandparents used to have a 1995 JD 325 (17Hp). Also a great LGT. Only replaced it because somebody STOLE it! Yeah, no kidding. So, now they have a JD GX 335 (20Hp), which they love even more. Both of those are slightly lesser machines than the liquid-cooled 345 & GX 345, although they are built with the exact same chassis, bodies, and trannys.

Good luck and god bless!

• grouseman
    12 years ago

what about a GX 345 580 hours for 3500? How does that price sound for a machine that is in good shape?

• windcatcher
    12 years ago

and a make believe sky spook bless you too.

• RadioSam
    12 years ago

My GX345 is 6 years old and has 99.6 hours on it. I purchased it new for $8150.00 and it has been a real work horse. I realize there are not a lot of hours on it, I have an acre that I mow a couple of times a month. I just replaced the blades (48 " Deck) this month and at the beginning of the season I had to replace a fuel flow cutoff module for around $20. It starts instantly and still runs like a charm.

If you are able to get a post 2000 GX345 for less than $4000, I think it is a good deal.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio