Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help again

Posted by ocmoses GA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 3:12

I have acquired a Scotts 42" lawn tractor with a 15 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. This thing is built like a tank. Cast Iron I-beam front axle, heavy gauge deck with anti-scalp rollers,etc. All of the sheet metal is in "new condition" , no rust or fading. The only problem is that the Model and Serial Number sticker under the seat is missing. I don't know if this machine was built by Murray or by Briggs and Stratton or by John Deere. Is there any other way to identify the model. I am concerned about getting parts if needed in the future. Any advice or instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help again

A few things that may help: Are there decals under the hood? Can you post a pic or two? The engine code # would give us a year. Do either of the belts have a legible part #?

o

I'm not going to be much help on this other than to say you can at least post the engine Model number, Type number, and the Code number you find on the engine itself. The Code number will reveal the date the engine was built. Knowing when the engine was built might help some of the Scotts/Deere experts determine who the "baby daddy" is.
In the manufacturing industry the time line is pretty narrow from engine build to tractor build.

o

"....In the manufacturing industry the time line is pretty narrow from engine build to tractor build."

+1
I'm aware of a Craftsman tractor on another forum that had a 5 day difference. I'd probably expect a "few" weeks to be more the norm though.

o

Here's a shot at it... JD made a machine in 2000 that might fit the bill - 1542HS Sabre Mod yr 2000
S/n range: GX1542B020001-120407

Here is a link that might be useful: info source

o

If it looks like this it's a Scotts by Murray...

If it looks like this it's a Scotts by John Deere...

o

Thanks Folks, I knew I could depend on you. It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words. According to the pictures posted by justalurker, mine is definitely a Scotts by Murray. Thanks justalurker. Anyone know where I can get a owners and/or parts manual?

o

IIRC you have a Scotts (by Murray) 1542 and the model # is 42561X8. check around the tractor for a sticker with that #. May be under the seat on the fender pan.

If that is the number then click here for parts.

If that is not the model # then find the correct model # then click here to find the correct parts lit.

Owner's manuals for the old Scotts by Murray are hard to find. You might contact Murray and they might email you a copy.

o

Thanks justalurker! I really appreciate the help. The parts site is going to be very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here