Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackmax_gw

John deere gas leak

blackmax
9 years ago

I have a Scotts 1642 lawn tractor which I believe is the same as a JD Saber 1642. Has a 16 hp Kohler engine. I noticed gas leaking on the metal tube running to the muffler. I replaced both gaskets on either side of the plastic insulator that goes in between the carb and the head. I also replaced the o-ring on the float bowl. Everything seemed fine. Had about an inch or two of gas in the tank. Checked for any leaks over two days and dry as a bone. Yesterday I decided to fill the tank. That night I checked it again and now there are a few drops of gas dripping. Seems to be coming from up where the carb attaches to the head. I'm going to install a fuel shut off in line as a temporary work around as I need to actually use the tractor rather than just work on it.

Any suggestions as to what might be leaking and only when the tank is full? Seems obvious that it has something to do with the back pressure of the gas from the full tank but then again, it's not like the clear fuel filter is completely full. It's at it's normal level of being about half full of gas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area