Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tb113_gw

Briggs vs Kohler, Which is better

tb113
13 years ago

Hey all, just moved to Austin area on an acre, and have already purchased a lawn tractor from home depot.

They had a special on a 42" Ariens with a Briggs & Stratton 19.5HP. But when they delivered it, they delivered a tractor with a 19HP Kohler Courage.

So next I went online, and researched these Kohler Courage engine, and read a lot on how these twin cam's have a key part that is made out of either plastic, or nylon, and will go out in a matter of 50-100hrs. That they will start throwing rods, and are basically junk.

So I called Home Depot and insisted they send me one with a Briggs & Stratton Intek 19HP.

Did I do the right thing? What's better, B&S or Kohler.

Good day all.

Comments (15)

• bluemower
    13 years ago

you will probably have different opinions on this question.

both of the manufactureres offer commercial lines, but the mowers from the home improvement centers are usually equipped with engines intended for homeowners. Camshafts on these usually have nylon gears to reduce the engine noise. Most owners will not experience problems.

You have already researched problems that have developed on the kohler. Some Briggs owners have experienced problems with head gaskets. The head gaskets are easy repairs, but still require a trip to the repair shops.

• User
    13 years ago

You are comparing low price point entry level consumer grade engines and neither brand will have a long service record to compare.

The complaints you read are a drop in the bucket when the number of these engines out there purring along are considered.

Both B&S and Kohler have been around for a long time and if either company had a model with a fatal flaw it would be addressed so if you're really undecided... but the one with the longest warranty..

• jlett
    13 years ago

Have an old kohler command 20 engine.What is the valve gap an the procedure to adjust valves.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

You can go to Kohlerplus.com and "enter as guest" for free service manuals. Most Kohler Commands have hydraulic lifters and the lash is not adjustable as a mechanical tappet type. There are special bleed procedures if it has been apart however.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

I remember when Kohler was the leading Manufacturer of Industrial (Commercial) Grade Ventilation System Engine Suppliers for the Mining Sector throughout the World .
    Also Raced a few Snowmobiles with K Engines , back in the Day they were World Class ! As has been Briggs in the Small Engine Market . Don't recall any big issues with either Engine Design actually .

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

IMO neither home owner engine is the design of yester year or the quality you once respected. Commerical engines are better built and course cost more. Most single home owner engine can be brought new for as little as 400 to 500 bucks naturally twins are twice as much or more due to the extra manufacturing and part beings you got two cylinders and have twice the chance of something going wrong IMO?!? so I wouldn't worry about the engine if you have to replace one due to seldom design failure. IMO most failures are from lack of pre-ventive maintenance mainly air filteration and running low on oil or not changing the oil. IMO once a year is not enough, but I am an clean air breathing oil changing nerd! when it comes to my engines!

• raymond_bijeaux_cummins_com
    13 years ago

Do not buy a mower with a Kohler courage on it. There is problem with 4 bolts on top cover coming loose. After they are loose they crack the block on engine. From looking at other complaint sites Kohler knows about this, but did not put out a recall. My Toro is 2 1/2 years old & out of warranty with a cracked block.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Have had 2 riders in last 3 yrs. The one with 17.5 hp B&S will crank and run on the same gas that will not even start the 19 hp Kohler Courage engine. It seems less finicky that the Kohler and has a made in America sticker on which the Kohler did not. I recommend the American-made B&S engine.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Briggs makes so many different versions of the same basic engine, it's hard to tell which are the better ones.

I have something like 32 different IPL's for their 31 Cubic Inch engines and I'm quite sure there's a few of that series I don't have.

• dancasad
    8 years ago

do not ever buy a piece of equipment with a Kohler engine. I don't care what model it is. Kohler's warranty is WORTHLESS. always buy Briggs & Stratton. this is not just my opinion but that of every repair center I've been in touch with.

• krnuttle
    8 years ago

I don't believe the warranty is tied to the motor but to the tractor. ie if you buy a John Deere, the the motor is covered by John Deere tractor warranty. This is the same as other industries, you do not take your Buick to Chevy dealer if the Chevy engine in the Buick has problems.

As far as the warranty, the most important consideration is the reputation of the tractor manufacturer. If you buy a John Deere tractor, the warranty work is done by the local John Deere Dealer. Every JD Tractor the big box store sells carries a stick of the local John Deere dealer where any warranty work would be performed. Other tractors are covered by whoever the big box store has a contracted for the warranty work.

As far as the above comment about the Kohler warranty being worthless, I have never had the opportunity to find out whether the warranty was good or not, my JD with a Kohler engine. It has run find for over 15 years and never had a problem.

PS: When it come to cost of work done at the John Deere Dealer, I have found it comparable in price to the cost of have the local Shop do the work. I have priced the Spring tune up kit at the John Deere dealer and the big box store, the JD dealer has always come up cheaper for the same items from other stores.

• sjalexandertrader
    8 years ago

I have a 20 years old Kohler in a old lawn now rider. It's still kicking. It's smoking some, I used a little starter pray to get her fired up. She can be honorary at the beginning of the season. But once it's cranks, it runs great. But I just scored a john deer 42 inch rider. I snagged it cheap on a trade. My shade tree mechanics said the The carb on these newer ones can be problematic. Mine had sat for a couple years. We had to change the carb out completely. We used an older, and what I was told, a better Briggs carb. She's running great. It's a pretty low time 2004 model. We'll see.

• tinkerer200
    8 years ago

Kohler made some great engines. Kohler Courage is not one of them. My recommendation is stay completely away from that one. You are right in wanting the Briggs in this case.

Walt Conner

• Gordon Schafer
    5 years ago

The Kohler Command Pro 15 is nothing but junk. Has low hours on it. Short in wiring harness, regulator went also, tiny spring that controls the choke, broke and they want you to buy the whole carberator. The dealer would not even sell me part off one the junkers, screws come out of butterfly in choke 3 times. I did use thread locker one of the times...

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!