Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve30215

Bending rods

steve30215
11 years ago

I have a craftsman 24hp mower that all of a sudden bent the exhaust push rod on the right cylinder, no problem ordered a new one rotated the engine in the correct direction, both valves closed on the compression stroke then 1/4 in past TDC, set rockers at .005. I then hand cranked it around and it bet it again! valve doesnt appear to be sticking and everything moves as it should so put another one in and same results. So now I have the third one in and am affraid to touch it until I can maybe get an explanation so I dont have to do this a fourth time. Any Ideas???

Comments (16)

• grass1950
    11 years ago

My experience is that the rocker arm is not traveling far enough. Bent valve stem, damaged rocker arm, wrong cam in a rebuild, etc.

• steve30215
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mower was bought new about 6 years ago and never has had anything wrong, oil has been changed regularly. This is the first thing that has ever happened to this mower.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Since you are talking about an engine problem, you might at least post WHAT engine you have-

• steve30215
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Briggs 24HP model 445677-0413-E1

• walt2002
    11 years ago

First thing - check the height of the valve guide for the valve that is bending push rods. I think you will find it is extended out of the head farther than the one on the other side. It should not come out more than 1/8". IF that is the case it is most often caused by a cooling problem, plugged cooling shroud, cooling fins, though some say ethanol fuel caused the valve to stick, I have no opinion on that.

NOW, IF the valve guide is out to far the valve spring keeper will hit it and bend the push rod. B&S says the only fix is a new head. I do have a fix that only costs a head gasket. This has been tried and proven by many people. Address below, put in proper format and remind me, engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• twiztidpod
    11 years ago

Walt I think you nailed it right on the head, I had one do the same exact thing and the problem was the valve guide as you suggested. Steve check the valve guide like Walt said he gives great advice that has helped me out many times. I'd be willing to be he's right on this one.

• mrdoitall
    11 years ago

Walt is right with the valve guide. I fixed my father in-laws 24hp. The first time it bent the push rod. I tapped the valve guide back down to 1/8 inch. Then cleaned the head real good and put some loctite red on the guide and head. This only worked about 4 or 5 mowing. The 2 time I fixed it I took my Mig welder and put 3 or 4 small spots of weld right next to the head on both sides of the valve guide.This has worked for over 2 years with know problems. The only other thing to do is order a new head. Just make sure it the new kind of head or you will be going through this again in about 40 to 60 hrs of mower use. They changed the head design from the old style and we have problems. Now they are making the head the old way that had know problems. Old style had a machined valve guide all one peice head. The head you have has a pressed in valve guide. The problem with that is 2 different metals expand a different temps. This let the valve guide slip over time. Good luck with your fix.

• jim109
    11 years ago

Walt what is proper format? my engine # is 205412 type 0167e1 vave guide does look too high.

• mownie
    11 years ago

"Proper format" means that you use @ instead of the word "at" and you use . instead of the word dot
    This is Walt's (and others) way of thwarting web crawler programs that collect e-mail addresses from websites to use for spamming.

• steve30215
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks guys, It was the valve guide. I replaced the head and works like new

• grass1950
    11 years ago

My son's appears to be having the same problem, Where did you purchase your new head?

• stanman818
    11 years ago

have the same problem wiyh a 22hp. my neighbor gave up after putting in 3 pushrods. he pushed it over to my house and i tore it down and found the same thing the valve guide is up to far. any suggestion on where to buy new head.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Download the proper IPL from the Briggs website to get the correct part#.
    Google said part#.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

"have the same problem wiyh a 22hp. my neighbor gave up after putting in 3 pushrods. he pushed it over to my house and i tore it down and found the same thing the valve guide is up to far. any suggestion on where to buy new head."

Well you could fix it, buy a good used one from me or some one else or buy a new one from any one of hundreds of venders selling B&S parts.

This post was edited by walt2002 on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 15:25

• tombob
    11 years ago

Is this a common problem with this size range of B &S?

I just bought a new Ferris that has a 24 hp B&S. I hope I dont' have to deal with this.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

It is much more common with Intek than with Vanguard though both experience this occasionally. I have found that plugged cooling fins, cooling shroud, is most often the cause but some say ethanol fuel causes the valves to stick resulting in moved valve guides. I have no opinion on this.

Walt Conner