Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on new lawn tractor

Posted by merlynsdad FL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 12:45

I have a 10 yr old Troy Bilt Pony that has been in the shop almost every year, including having the entire deck replaced when it rusted through. Now the PTO cable is apparently broken. Rather than prolong my misery I'm in the market for a new tractor. I mow about a half acre of flat St. Augustine grass weekly for about 9-10 months here in FL. I'm leaning toward either a JD or Husqvarna, but haven't tested either. I'm 71 yrs old and in good shape, but not particularly mechanical. What would you guys recommend for under $2k?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on new lawn tractor

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 13:58

You must be on speaking terms with the local lawnmower repair shop. They might know about a good deal on a piece of used equipment that they consider to be reliable and easily maintained. That might be a good place to start.

o

I'm looking at a JD D110. What do you think of it? I don't really want a used one because that's probably no better than what I have now. And yes, the repair guy knows me by name.

o

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 18:30

I think if it's just a broken cable on your present mower, you have a new deck on it so if it was me I'd take a chance and save a lot by just having the cable replaced., If there are other existing issues then that would be a different story.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here