Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jnug

Kubota GR2100 Hydrostatic drive issues

jnug
10 years ago

I was going to tack this onto one of the existing threads. But I suspect others might be trying to make the same decision I made and now regret.

I had one of the gas engine Kubota tractors for a couple of years and while I thought I had purchased enough tractor to just mow my lawn. it was a little short on power. So I traded it back to the dealer for a GR2100. Mind you all this thing does is mow my 1.25 acres of lawn. That is it. I have had it since May 2007. Today, the thing is leaking UDTS fluid. The Kubota dealer tells me that 90% of the time, it is caused by a gear or spacer breaking inside the drive which runs the width of the rear of the tractor sending metal through the system and cutting a seal, Further the only way to fix it is to tear down the back of the tractor, find the broken part, repair it, repair what it has damaged and put everything back together again...roughly a $3,000.00 job!!! Occasionally a clamp goes and that causes the leak but that is very very rare. This was a $7,600 tractor which has been used about 35 minutes per week since 5/07 on nothing more dramatic than a lawn and now needs a $3,000 repair. You have got to be kidding me.

I bought a Kubota figuring I would buy more tractor than I needed from a reliability standpoint and make out on the back end in reduced down time or repair needed. That equation does not work with this tractor. I live in NE so it is used about 30 times per year, about 35 minutes per usage to mow my lawn. I could have had my lawn mowed by a contractor for what this has cost me over the short period of time is has been in service. Needless to stay I am extremely disappointed in this tractor and in Kubota for designing something at a $7,600 price point that requires such extensive servicing after such limited usage.

In addition, I have a question for tractor pros. I can't afford to repair this thing...it is senseless to repair it. The repair is going to cost most of what it is worth if not all of what it is worth.

Once this happens is there any life left in the sealed system transaxle at all? Can I simply top off the fluid and get maybe another summer of cuts out of this thing or is the more likely scenario that a couple of cuts after topping the fluid, the hydrostatic drive will grind to a halt?

This post was edited by jnug on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 13:56

Comments (5)

• rustyj14
    10 years ago

Well, you have learned the truth about advertisisng!
    Watch what ya buy, ask questions about other folks machines, don't always believe what ya see, or hear.
    Do believe the cautions on basic stuff. Don't buy because of the high-sounding name. Don't figure, because the cost is high-that you are getting a really wonderful piece of machinery.
    I deal mainly in used machines. Only one machine, i bought new. A Snapper Hi-vac riding lawn mower. Bought it around 1983-still using it, altho the original engine "went to lunch" Rest of parts are original.
    Now, if you are operating a business of lawn mowing, then buy the more expensive machines, and do the maintenance and repairs, and correct operation!
    For home use, a Craftsman lawn tractor should suffice. Lord knows, i've mowed a lot of grass with used stuff. Even Craftsman lawn tractors. Parts are reasonable, and available. And, after-market parts work as good as original brand name parts. Some times, even better. But-do as you wish. What do i know? RJ

• tomplum
    10 years ago

I've not had the pleasure of being inside one of these transmissions. I have a customer w/ a 2012 and I remember at the time hearing that the transmissions had been revised as they had issues w/ the earlier ones. His both has a screen lower and a spin on filter above. Little bits of metal debris floating around inside isn't good but would hopefully end up trapped in a filter. It seems that you haven't determined the source of the leak which would make the most sense at this stage of the game. The rear cover comes off easily, at least on the new version- so have a look. Maybe it is something that a simple repair could be done w/o tearing down the transaxle , clean the screen and do an UDT2 change w/ the filter.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

OP - for a 3 grand repair quote, I'd surely want a 2nd opinion...

• jnug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I guess there are two things that can cause the leak...a loosened clamp...already checked and t cut seal via metal from somewhere.

Fortunately it looks like there is a good chance that I have caught this before it has torn up a bunch of glide steering and other hydraulic parts. That fluid goes everywhere in this tractor.

As such chances now look good for the repair to come in at less than $3k (I hope). At a minimum the tranny comes out and gets changed to the new tranny style that Kubota changed to because of this problem. Also while it remains to be seen how this all comes out in the wash, Kubota is stepping in to help me out with this because of the limited time on the machine. Even though it is unclear at this point how this is all going to pan out, I have to commend Kubota for that.

• HU-613398556
    last year

Well here it is 8 years later on your posting. My GR2100 bought 2005 now has 330 hours and Kubota hides behind the warranty years, ignoring their need to REDESIGN the entire Glide Steer rear axle. My now 3-WD fails to 2WD if slightly turning right. Critical engineering failure as I bought the unit at $7,800 new to deal with steep slopes. Easy to fix - $4,000 + $1,000 labor = $5,000 and presto, a faulty Kubota engineering design is corrected by the customer going to generation II rear axle redesign. Last Kubota I will ever buy!

Sponsored