Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wwallace62

Craftsman Tractor Starting Problem

wwallace62
11 years ago

My Craftsman Model 917-289342 tractor has given me stating problems over the past couple of years. General problem is starter solenoid engages the ring gear but does not turn engine over. I've replaced both solenoid and starter motor, and while I get temporary relief, the general problem always returns. Today, I tried a different approach. I removed the spark plug, and lo and behold the engine cranks fine. I reinstall the spark plug and I'm back to the general problem.

Any ideas about what's going on here?

Comments (5)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

IF you had a Briggs engine, the general answer would be to adjust the valves, since valve lash adjustment is crucial to the compression release working.

Problem is, you have a Kohler Courage, which is different.
    From the service manual-
    Operation
    ACR mechanism consists of an actuating spring and a pivoting fl yweight/control pin assembly, located in exhaust side cam gear. A thrust washer and mounting closure plate hold ACR in position. At cranking speeds (700 RPM or lower), spring holds flyweight in and rounded surface of control pin protrudes above exhaust cam lobe. This pushes exhaust valve off its seat during first part of compression stroke. Compression is reduced to an effective ratio of about 2:1 during cranking.
    After starting, when engine speed exceeds 700 RPM, centrifugal force overcomes force of the flyweight spring. Flyweight moves outward, rotating control pin to expose the flat surface, which is lower than cam lobe. Control pin no longer has any effect on exhaust valve, and engine operates at full power.
    When engine is stopped, spring returns flyweight/control pin assembly to compression release position, ready for next start.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Bill is probably on the right track. You will need to pull the valve cover and have a look. The stud that retains the rocker can back out on these like the Briggs will. If all is secure and the lash is set properly, my guess is it is inside. You can slip a .015 feeler gauge in the Exhaust valve rocker and then see if it wants to crank normal as a double check. The plastic cam gear develops a problem where the ACR doesn't work and is serviced separately. You would need to split the engine, though the engine doesn't need to be removed from the tractor to do so. If this is the case, loctite the sump bolts on the reinstall.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

Well I think the answer is the same. Valve clearance affects the operation of the compression release. You can go to the Kohler site and download a Service manual for your engine free.

Walt Conner

• wwallace62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gentlemen:

Thank you all for your prompt responses. I had hoped it wouldn't be getting into this depth, but now that grass cutting season is ending what else would I do with all that time on my hands?

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

You didn't mention anything about the battery.
    You may want to get it load tested before condemning the engine.
    Tractor batteries are suspect after a couple years.

Also, if you have a voltmeter, you might want to run some voltage drop tests over the crank circuit connections.
    You could have a bad ground for example, from where the engine bolts to the chassis. Kind of out of sight-out of mind but still part of the circuit.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!