Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Old Briggs 12 hp, sell or chunk?

I'm cleaning out my Dads old buildings, He died last year and I bought my siblings share of his house.

I found an old 12 hp Briggs, vertical shaft, in the barn, looks pretty good, mostly dusty from sitting, no greasy or dirty spots.

It has to be at least 15+ years old. It was stored in a dry place, on concrete. I'm pretty sure it was a good motor when Dad took it off of a mower or whatever it was on. I do remember him saying he replaced the motor on his old Snapper right before he bought another mower many years ago.

I pulled the rope and compression seems OK. No spark.

I will probably have to sand the flywheel, clean the carb, and a few other things to get it running.

Is there a market for an old motor like that? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on it then sell it for $20 or give it away.

Comments (7)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

I'd clean it up, bolt it down to a stand, add gas and make sure it has oil in it, and try to start it. Nothing to lose, and a good running engine will bring something. Always some poor old guy out there, just waiting for a good engine to come his way---like me! A one-liner in the sell portion of the want ads, or Craigs List should get results! Waste not/ want not is my motto! Rustyj

• walt2002
    12 years ago

There is still demand for those engines in our area. In fact, 12 - 12.5 hp are the most sought after.

By the way, sanding the flywheel or coil laminates will do little if any good except make you feel better. Disconnect the "Kill wire" from the base of the coil. IF you have no spark then, the coil is bad but that would be unusual for B&S.

Walt Conner

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dug it out this morning, had to move stuff so that I could carry it out without breaking my neck.

Found a kill switch on the side, duh! Had spark! Sprayed carb cleaner in the inlet of the carb and replaced the gas line. Replaced the oil, clamped it down on my sawhorses. Filled with gas.

Three pulls and it started smoking, revving up and down. Then it settled down and purred like a kitten! I started it 2 more times, cranked on the first pull! I left it along while I done some other chores so it could cool down.

Still started on the first pull, 3 times! I've left it running while I grab some grub, I can still hear it running!

How much should I price it for? :)

• mownie
    12 years ago

I suggest asking $100..............then negotiate if you wish.

• the_0utsider
    12 years ago

I had one off a murray mower. it was in prestine shape and purred like a cat.
    I got 170 something for mine. Sell it in the spring or summer when more guys (like me) are looking to fiddle with our "toys".

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was talking about it to a guy at work, not trying to sell it, just telling him how amazed I was that it ran so well after all of these years.

He asked what I wanted for it, I just said I don't know, I'll bring it in with me and we'll start it, you can make me an offer. I was willing to sell it for $50 to him, if he offered that much, but wasn't going to start at that price.

We started it, then several guys gathered around and wanted to know how much I wanted for it. He spoke up and said" Hey I've got first dibs on it! Will you take $125?" I said sure Johnny, since you have done some favors for me before. :)

• mownie
    12 years ago

***"since you have done some favors for me before."***
    Diplomacy is the better part of valor.