Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevevfx4

JD 38' deck with bagger - overall width?

SteveVFX4
12 years ago

I'm considering the JD X300 with 38-inch deck and will also get the standard JD bagger attachment. I'm trying to find out what the overall width is with the bagger chute attached. If you have this setup, can you let me know?

My shed door opening is only 48-inches wide.

My other option is to get the X300R rear bagger tractor which seems to be 44 inches wide overall, but I don't have anywhere to dump the grass, and it kind of defeats the purpose to dump it on the lawn and pick it up by hand. I usually bag my grass and it goes with the weekly trash pickup.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

You can always cut horizontal slots in the front wall of yer garage/shed, so the mower deck will go in without hitting the sides of the opening. Then you can make some covers to fill in the slots that you made for the mower deck, hinge them, and open them when you take the machine in or out. Sounds good to me! Rustyj

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

Steve, I hate to take issue with Rusty, but I WOULDN'T go cutting through the door frame of the shed. That stud (which should be a reinforced, or double, stud) is already supporting extra weight, and cutting a section out of it could cause a problem with the entire front wall and roof of your shed.

You're on the right track to find something that will go through the existing door ... or get a good set of mulching blades (like Gators) and forego the bagging.

• txtom50
    12 years ago

Don't know if this helps, but on my LT150 with 38 inch deck and 7 bushel bagger, it's 51 1/2 inches wide. That's measured from the outside of the deck on the left side to the outside of the bagger lid on the right side - the two widest points.

From what I can tell by the pictures on the JD website the LT150 and X300 are very similar.

I take my bagger off in the spring and put it back on in the fall to pick up leaves. Its about a 15 minute job since all the mounting hardware stays on the tractor and there's only 3 bolts and a rubber strap to take loose to get the bagger and feed chute off. And I've got a good place to store the bagger that's easy to get to.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

OP - why not consider a tractor with a mulching mower deck setup - JD has such, I believe, along with other brands offering similar products. A good dealer will tell you the overall width for your door opening issue. The mulching deck should be less wide, will solve yer clippings disposal probs and mebbe save you some fertilizer cost.. ?

• SteveVFX4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

rcbe - that's what I've been thinking about now, just going with a mulching setup. It would definately fit through shed door opening.

I do mulch mostly in the summer, but in spring and fall I bag because I don't have time to keep up with it and the grass gets too high. My yard is only 1/4-acre and pretty flat and I've been getting by with my Toro push mower just fine, but been thinking about a riding mower in order to mainly save time.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner