Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growingadvice

Do u level tractor deck with bagger, without bagger or both

L A
9 years ago

Have a 4y.o craftsman yt4000 . The deck needs to b leveled anyway, but looks worst with the bagger on (seems the weight of the tube pushes that side lower. )

Not sure of I should b leveling it with our without the bagger.

Should there b much of a difference?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

If you mow with the bagger then you level the deck with the bagger.

If you will mow without the bagger then level the deck without the bagger.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

I take it you are having clogging issues? The weight of the tube should not be pushing the deck down otherwise. Be sure that the tube is free to pivot as the deck moves, so that extra bungee cord trick...

• User
    9 years ago

Tom,

The OP posted... "The deck needs to b leveled anyway, but looks worst with the bagger on (seems the weight of the tube pushes that side lower"

• L A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a lurker, that'd the thing. I use both

• User
    9 years ago

You have to level the deck for the circumstances. There is no one level for with and without the bagger. That's why the deck level can be adjusted.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

JL you were correct in the info given for leveling, but if there are extra challenges with level with a non assist bagger on- there are other fish to fry. The plastic tube itself basically weighs nothing. The guy that bungees the tube to the tractor can affect deck travel if he tries hard enough. That is why I mentioned this. On the other hand, poor discharge through the tube can create quality of cut issues that mimic an out of level deck. For that matter, as grass travels up the tube- there is likely some extra weight present. I suppose you could throw a bag of sugar on the chute side when leveling. A YT4000 can be a 42, 46 or a 48" deck. Maybe it is a simple as a rear tire pressure is too low and as it fills the bagger it affects the level. Bottom line, something else if likely at play here if the level appears to noticeably change from one mode to the next. It isn't like you are trying to make up for the weight and torque of a powerflo here...

• User
    9 years ago

Yea Tom, I understand all that and much more but experience has taught me to read the post and reply based on what was asked rather than introduce many more complications that weren't noted by the poster and assume they have those problems also.

The OP's initial question "Not sure of I should b leveling it with our without the bagger" pretty much defined the depth of his/her knowledge so I offered an on point answer to that specific question. If that answer wasn't sufficient I'm sure more questions will follow and you'll be happy to answer them... in depth.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Odd. To me people out of the blue don't get up one morning and think "It's a great day to level my mowing deck." I personally don't think his statement defined anything about his depth of knowledge either. He may not of specifically said he had a quality of cut issue, but so what? I'm guessing he does. If I guessed wrong, well- thanks for typing slowly....

• User
    9 years ago

With respect to the OP, seems a common sense question as to whether the deck should be leveled with the bagger if that's how it is used and wonder if that is mentioned in the bagger manual... but that's just my expectation.

The OP's original statement "The deck needs to b leveled anyway, but looks worst with the bagger on (seems the weight of the tube pushes that side lower" indicated to me that he/she saw the deck was obviously not level with the bagger on with no mention of cut quality.

I can type even slower if need be.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions