Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ernie55

Murray rider missing

Ernie55
10 years ago

I have a Murray rider with a 12 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. My mower is 15 years old and looks practically new. It has never been to a repair shop except recently. It refused to stay running and was leaking oil out the muffler. Took it to the only shop around me that work on a Murray. The shop owner took the carb apart, cleaned it, replaced the needle, re adjusted the governor, drained the oil several times cause gasoline had seeped into the crankcase and charged me $109. I started it at the shop and idled fine. Got home and once the blades are engaged and the mower is moving, it makes a kind of popping and misses except on 2nd gear. I took it back to the shop and the owner replaced the carb with a used one but in working condition and still had the problem. He says that ruling out the carb then the engine may be shot. he did not charge me for the second visit and put back my old carb. I just mowed my lawn and as long as I keep it on 2nd gear, the motor barely skips and actually sounds ok. Any thoughts about that skipping?

This post was edited by Ernie55 on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:43

Comments (18)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Please identify WHICH Briggs-
    Model & Type numbers.

How many gears do you have?
    Do you have problems in 1st gear?

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the info:

Model 282707
    Type 0122-01
    Code 951102Za

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Well, you answered 1 of 3 questions, so I'll give about 1/3 of an answer-

Does the throttle shaft have any side play in it?
    Are the carb mounting bolts tight?

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill

I will check that out in the morning when the garage is cooler and have daylight. I will let u know then.

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill

Ok, no play with the throttle cable or the clamp holding it to the motor. The throttle works just fine and throttles down to almost a crawl. Both carb bolts were tight but I still turned them about one turn for a tighter fit. The spring is connected and works.
    The plug is new, took it out and had just a very slight blackening, not much. I ran the mower and it seems that once the engine heats up the missing or skipping happens in 3rd and 4th gears, 4th being the worst. I cut on second gear so even if it stays like this it will be ok. I even thought about ordering a new carb until the repair guy said he swapped it with a working carburetor he had and still ran the same.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    10 years ago

OK, this is a "SWAG," but, since the fuel circuit has been proved functional, and it runs OK in second gear which seems to indicate compression, valves, etc. are OK, that would indicate "electrical" as the next area to explore. What's different about 2nd gear as in position and wire routing, etc? I'd do a careful inspection for worn, frayed wiring, and electrical connectors. That's a "stretch" as the wiring is primarily from the dash up to the engine compartment and the only wiring down near the shift would be the OPR. For troubleshooting only, disconnect that and observe the result.

Good luck,

Ev

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

My question wasn't about the throttle cable.
    It was the throttle shaft.
    This is a nearly 18 year old engine.
    Throttle shafts wear and cause a vacuum leak.
    This causes the the fuel mixture to lean out and tends to result in a surging condition under load.

I wouldn't consider the USED carb your fixit guy used to be beyond suspicion.

What I would do-
    Change the fuel filter. make sure it's the Briggs RED filter.
    Put in a strong dose of carb cleaner in the fuel. Since the engine is "almost" running OK, that should clean any gunk/varnish build up on the carb passages.

Also toss in a new spark plug.

That's about the cheapest approach at this time, without doing any major disassembly.

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks both for the help. Bill if you could then direct me as to the location of the throttle shaft on my 38" mower.

I took off the engine cover and noticed some light rust on the flywheel where the magnet rides along. I used a small brass wire brush to cleaned it up. Now the pop and miss is just about gone, in any speed. I also checked all the electrical connections and all look good. The sparkplug is new as the repair guy replaced it.

This post was edited by Ernie55 on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 12:21

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

The throttle shaft is part of the carb.
    It has the butterfly that opens /closes that controls air flow through the carb.
    The choke shaft/butterfly is very similar looking, but located closer to the air cleaner.

Suggest you go to the Briggs website and download the IPL for your specific engine.
    It'll have exploded views and proper terminology for the part names.

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill for the explanation. I do believe that part is ok. It may be just age catching up with the engine? What do you think about the rust I removed from the flywheel face?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

The only problem rust has is if the coil doesn't have good ground.
    Magnetism is too stupid to be bothered by rust. Electricity isn't.

• bluemower
    10 years ago

If I understand, there were two problems:
    (1) fuel leaked through the carburetor and contaminated the oil - this was fixed by overhauling the carburetor and changing the engine oil.
    (2) it makes a kind of popping and misses except on 2nd gear. This is the remaining problem.

I am trying to understand your description. Here is another thought.
    This is a high mileage engine. Perhaps there is an accumulation of carbon in the cylinder. This is a flathead engine. Consider pulling the cylinder head to clean the out the carbon. Also check the valve clearance.

• ericwi
    10 years ago

The throttle shaft can look OK, and yet be causing a problem. The shaft rides in bushings that are pressed into the carburetor body, or it simply rides in holes that are drilled into the pot-metal casting. As the engine accumulates hours of operation, the two holes get slightly enlarged, and eventually they become a significant vacuum leak, causing a lean mixture. One fix would be to install a new carburetor, which would have smaller holes, and a tighter fit.

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments but the repair guy put on a different carb which was operating fine on another machine, yet mine ran the same with the different carb. It just may be as bluemower suggested. I will check that out.

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok so before I tried anything else I cranked it up, sprayed Seafoam in the carb throat, and more Seafoam. It smoked and sputtered a bit but it sounded fine after a couple of minutes. I was able to mow my yard in all speeds with just a couple of small pops so I'm happy with it now. Thanks for all the help.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

I'd suggest putting the Seafoam/carb cleaner IN the fuel.
    That way it actually cleans the important parts of the carb.

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do Bill. Thanks again!

• Ernie55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Put about 4 ounces of Seafoam in about one gallon or less of fuel and cranked it up and mowed the back lawn..........purred like a kitten. Put 2 ounces into my Husqvarna self propelled small mower and it too purred like a kitten. Must have been junk in the trunk!
    Thanks again Bill for your Seafoam suggestion.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County