Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tightening bolt on electric PTO for Sabre 1948HV

Posted by mikekobler MN, USA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 17:39

I recently had the bolt that holds the electric PTO/drive pulley to the main shaft of the engine break and had to replace it. I'm now having problems getting it tight enough to not work itself loose while mowing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop the crankshaft from turning while I try to tighten the bolt? The drive pulley has a huge hex nut like shape on it, but it's buried in the frame of the mower and I don't think I can get a wrench on it.

thanks for any suggestions!
mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tightening bolt on electric PTO for Sabre 1948HV

Tell us what engine you have by posting the engine brand and model number of engine (found on the engine).
The best way is to just use an electric or pneumatic impact wrench to zap it tight, but if you are not familiar with these tools you might damage the bolt or crankshaft by over tightening it.

You can remove the flywheel cover and hold the flywheel retainer nut with a socket wrench (might need a helper) while you tighten the PTO bolt under the tractor.

Another method requires that you remove a spark plug from a cylinder and position that cylinder to where it is coming UP on a compression stroke, but has not yet reached Top Dead Center.
At this point, you feed some plain old ordinary nylon rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, as much rope as you can push in there.
With the cylinder now full of rope, you tighten the bolt.
The piston will move against the rope and the rope will stall the piston and crankshaft allowing you to tighten the bolt.
After the bolt is tight, turn the bolt in the opposite direction and the piston will move down, release the rope.
Pull the rope out and install spark plug.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here