Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallnutz_gw

Please help me decide which 42" Zero Turn to buy

WALLNUTZ
11 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to this site. I've read some of the posts on here & it seems there are some very knowledgeable folks out there. I'm hoping you can help.

My property is a 1/2 acre of Bermuda grass and I'm on it, like clock work, every Saturday morning with my 21" push mower ... I'm done with that. I move fast & it takes me a good 1 1/2 hours, just to mow. So...I've been looking at zero turn mowers for a couple months now. I can't decide which way to go. That's where I truly hope your advise will help. The ZTRs that I'm looking at all have a 42" deck. There are 2 reasons for this 1. the gate going into my back yard is only 48.5" (yes i know hind sight 20/20) and 2. my back yard has quite a bit of turns and is slightly hilly. So ... I'm think i have narrowed it down to:

1. John Deere z225 $2,699.00 (local John Deere shop & cheapest option)

2. Toro TimeCutter MX4260 23 HP Kawasaki $3200.00 and else where retails for about $3600.00 (from a local shop my landscaper buddy has a relationship with)

3. Bad Boy MZ FR651 Kawasaki $3399.00(from a local mower/tractor shop)

The JD z225 seems like a viable option. There are a ton of happy JD owners out there but it still has a stamped deck. The other 2 have fabricated decks and the Kawi motors. The Bad Boy seems a bit sturdier, but for me will also come with a slightly higher price tag. Toro and JD move at top speed 7 mph and BB is 6 mph.

I think it goes without saying I'd like to keep the cost to a minimum, but I don't want to be penny wise & pound foolish.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with these ZTRs? Which do you think will cut the best? How long do you think they will last me? Please help me decide. Additional mower suggestions may confuse me further but I would really like to know what you think.

Comments (6)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

I'm sure that any would be more than ample to cut your lawn. Does you landscaper buddy have a preference regarding the Bermuda? Beyond that, some seat time is in order plus have the respective dealer point out things such as ease of cleaning the deck and other maintenance that you may do yourself. If they will be performing the PM - what are their rates, PnD, policies and service reputation?

• ll48
    11 years ago

I own a John Deere myself (X534 tractor) and love it, but I would go with the Toro if I wanted a zero-turn. I have experience will all three brands working for a dealer. Without going into details I'll just say that would be my choice.

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Thing i can't understaand is this: The gate is 48 inches wide and the deck is 42 inches??? Seems like the deck would fit thru the gate. Or you can modify the gate opening.?!? Or, slow down when going thru the gate! Trying to "thread the needle" at a high rate of speed would seem to me to be taking a risk of hitting it. Or, does the gate move back when it sees you coming? At speed?
    JMHQ: Rusty Jones

• rcbe
    11 years ago

Rusty - it'll be a tight fit. that 42" cut deck width will be at least 47-49 inches with thet big deflector hanging on out there. BUT...
    He might could cut back his pucker factor by drillin a hole close to the outer edge of thet deflector and puttin an eyebolt in it with a dble locknut arrangement along with a piece of bright nylon rope leading back to the seat area where he could grab it to pull thet deflector up to attention jest before proceeding thru thet gate entrance.. ya reckon?

• surfmonkey
    11 years ago

Bought the TORO 3 months ago. Did about 4 months of research and testing of all the brands available. Settled on the TORO and am very satisfied....just as the guy above said, rig your deflector chute like he said and it will fit through the gate....I did and have no problem getting through the gate....Cut is very good and comfort of use is very good also...I cut on the low ground speed, as the high ground speed is pretty darn fast....

• walt2002
    11 years ago

In the end, you are the only one who can decide. While JD is a great, and expensive name, I suspect the one you are looking at for $2,600 is feeding on the JD name. In my case I would want to know how many blades each deck has. Many of the newer and cheaper 42" mower decks have gone to 2 staggered blades. I prefer 3 blades on a 42" deck myself. We have a stamped deck on our mower which is 18 years old and is still in good condition BUT you must not let wet grass accumulate under them, as many people do, or they will rust out. Most likely the JD had a B&S Intek engine on it while the Kawa is far superior.

Walt Conner

Sponsored