Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftsman dyt 4000 stalls when using pto

Posted by chase8 none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:55

My Craftsman Tractor DYT 4000 model no. 917.2736404 stalls when I take my foot off the brake after starting; and will also stall when I attempt to engage the electric clutch for the mower. How do I figure out a way to fix this? I'm assuming this involves the safety switches. Can I bypass the safety switches temporarily to diagnose? I checked the fuse and that seems OK. I disconnected the safety switch for the brake. It won't crank . But if I disconnect after starting, it won't stall when releasing the brake. Either way it stalls when I pull the PTO switch. I disconnected the electric clutch but it still stalls when releasing the brake or pulling the switch. I'm perplexed. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsman dyt 4000 stalls when using pto

Your seat switch is bad, misadjusted or unplugged.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg0919452913289.html?23

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg0819154424249.html?4

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 21:30

o

I'll take a look at it. Can it be bypassed to see if that is the issue. It starts when I'm sititng but not if I'm off the tractor.

o

It can't be bypassed "legally".
Study the schematic.
ANYTHING that grounds the "M" terminal of the key switch will kill spark.
Disconnecting the seat switch plug also grounds the "M" terminal.

Of course it doesn't start if you aren't sitting in it! If it quits running when you get out of the seat, why would it run if you don't get into the seat?

o

You already HAVE tested the seat switch! When you stated that it runs until you engage the PTO or let up on the clutch.
The seat switch is not working, so the safety switch logic is that the seat is not occupied when the PTO is engaged or the clutch is let up. Neither of those actions can be done if the seat is not occupied. Even before you engage the PTO or let up on the clutch, the seat switch is telling the safety interlock system that the seat is not occupied, but it does not stop the engine because it is OK for the engine to run with an empty seat so long as the clutch/brake is down, and the PTO is not engaged.
Nothing more needs to be tested, you already tested it.

o

OK. I'll check the seat switch. It's a little confusing to me because if the tractor does not start if I'm not sitting in the seat, then it would appear the switch is working, but you're saying that the switch does not work. At this point is it a simple replacement of the switch?

o

Are you depressing the brake/clutch when you are attempting to start it when not in the seat?

AGAIN!
"Your seat switch is bad, misadjusted or unplugged."

A "simple replacement" won't do diddly if the adjustment is wrong.
Make sure the plunger is getting depressed enough!

The switch must be OPEN for the tractor to run. When NOT in the seat, it's closed.

o

Got it. I'll check the adjustment first. What is the procedure to do this?
Is there a manual/schematic for this tractor online I can download?

o

IF it's an adjustment issue, you'll have to try to move it so the plunger is more depressed when on the seat.
I've heard of some people actually haveing to shim it with a slice of wood or similar.

Schematic is in the owners manual-
http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0409540.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Owners Manual

o

Thank you very much for your time and patience. I will let you know what happens after I take a look at tractor. Probably this weekend.

o

Well, I was able to work on the tractor and got it working
100%. You'll never guess what it was. The seat switch needed adjustmen! LOL. Thank you so much Mownie and Bill for all your help! I haven't been able to use tractor all summer, now it's up and running in time for leaves! Thanks again.

o

BTDT! Glad you fixed it..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here