Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scotts riding mower

Posted by jlmurphy Ca. (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 19:37

I have recently acquired a used Scotts 15 hp, 42" cutting deck, riding mower. Model no. 42531X7. It is at least 10 years old and was purchased to replace my 20 year old Montgomery Ward mower of unknown mfg. ( MTD ? ). The Scotts is generally better constructed and in much better shape than the old mower. My mechanic neighbor, who has more experience with mowers than I, believes the Scotts brand was manufactured by John Deere at one time, but I have been unable to find any information on the Web, can anyone shed some light on the history of this mower?

jlmurphy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scotts riding mower

i asked here awhile back about son N laws Scotts, it was made by JD, but it also has a decal stating JD on it.

Should be able to find that post by searching

o

Your tractor is actually an earlier one made by Murray. Do you need parts lists or are looking for anything specific?

o

The earlier Scotts were Murray's mfgd for HD. You know the easiest way to differentiate the two is that Murray machines have the fuel tank behind the engine, John Deere machines are behind the seat. Parts support is excellent for these since Briggs and Stratton bought Murray, and you can search for parts right on HD's site.

o

Actually the easiest way is when the Deere dealer tells you to take it elsewhere. At least they do by me. No Murray or Craftsman for that matter."Due to parts availability" it claims, but we know better. I have found a few Murray things that are nla though but generally Briggs did a good job. BTW Deere built Scotts can have an under hood fuel tank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here