Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

International B275 repair?

Konrad___far_north
10 years ago

Hi all!
This old diesel tractor I only fire up ones in the fall for plowing the garden, about 1/2 hour work, today it failed. The starter wasn't working,..then managed to fire it up with booster cable hocking up directly to the starter, then another thing, the clutch wasn't working,..couldn't put into gear, my guess,..seems like the clutch plates are rusted together.

What would something like this cost to fix,..how many hours labor?

I'm thinking,..it might be better to replace it with something smaller newer with rototiller only, please advise.

I like the deep plow, got a two bottom plow, it can pull up some roots growing into the veggie garden, in spring I just till over very easily.

Comments (9)

• ewalk
    10 years ago

The starter issue is usually around $100.00 at any local starter jobber (repair / rebuild) facility . I would 1st ensure your connections are clean , may only require an new switch. I f you can get it started and rolling you usually can get it into 2nd gear on a rolling start . If so you may be able to break free the clutch plates . Otherwise you will have any where from $200-$500.00 for a clutch R&R or 3 hr do it yourself job if your mechanically inclined.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much!
    That switch looks like the culprit, starter works when hooked up with booster cable.

I'm a bit mechanical inclined but hate to do things without a step by step manual, ...is there such a thing?

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Konrad: Try Manuals.us I see they have a Manual online for $25.00 . There are other sites online that perhaps other forum members can assist you with at no charge , I remember ordering online for our Old 1944 Cockshutt-40 when we had to change out the 1st / reverse gear cluster . Good Luck and keep us Posted !

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    10 years ago

Concur with ewalk, starter issues usually aren't too bad, a little time consuming if you have to trace wiring and find bad connections, but definitely "doable."

Clutch issues on I'm assuming a farm tractor are a whole 'nother issue. Depending on the vintage and model, you'll probably have to separate the tractor into halves, using special "dollies" to roll it apart to get access to the clutch. Then, again, depending on vintage, chasing parts can be very challenging.

If you only use it in the fall, consider selling it and just hiring somene to plow the garden. New cost of a tractor and rototiller will be very high for once a year use. If you're considering purchasing "newer" though used, you may be trading the headache you know for a whole bunch of new ones.

Good luck,

Ev

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today I fixed the clutch without splitting,..Gator gave me good advise, I'm sooo...happy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Need clutch expert

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    8 years ago

I fired it up again for the garden plow when I nearly ruined the engien, motor was running wierd and smoking off and on, Oil pressure was very low, I shut it down and checked the oil, was well over the high level. Went on line and studied what might have happen,...perhaps diesel in the oil, I drained and put new in and fired up with good pressure and engine sounds normal..close call!

Can you tell by the oil pressure, [pictures] if bearings are good?

One thing which I don't know if it can be fixed, when I plow on full throttle, the engine doesn't runn smooth..kind of studdering and surgeing, not really getting me the full potential power,... any idea? It has been like this since I got this tractor.

idling

high rpm

• andyma_gw
    8 years ago

No clue, no scales but sure looks good. How did fuel get into the sump? You may wanna look into that

8 years ago

Thanks...not sure how fuel gets down the crank but from reading it might come from the pump or from cylinders not burning all the diesel. It could have been like this for years, for now I'll look at the dipstick more closely.

last year
    last modified: last year

Ha..years later and retired I will attempt a srtip down and do a in frame inspection and fix whats needed, seems coolant also leaked into the oil.

What is a good place purchasing parts?

Trying to avoid Chineese / India

Sponsored