Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich1911

The best Lawn Tractor or riding mower

rich1911
18 years ago

Hello All,

I just purchase a home and I have approx 1.5 acre to mow.

I am trying to figure out if I should purchase a lawn tractor or a riding mower. Can you let me know the pros and cons of purchasing a lawn tractor vs riding mower? Also which manufacture I should consider?

Thanks.

Comments (14)

• ghoops
    17 years ago

I say lawn tractor, for me I love the extra ponys, I almost always need to pull a lawn sweeper and in the winter when it snows I put the blade on. I have a little over an acre to mow, twice a week. I also purchased a thacher (sp?),trailer, snow chains and a spreader. couldnt live without it ;)

I like the John Deere tractors, nice thick frames, front arms are beefy. But Im sure there are many others out there that are in the same class.

The only thing I would do differently, get the regular
    cutting deck. I have a 42" freedom mulching deck but
    my lawn grows wayyy to fast I would have to mow it 2-3 times
    a week to get the "no grass left behind" effect.

As it stands once a week and Im cutting 1.5 - 2" off.
    When I go away on a vacation, forget it, I have to
    mow it twice the same day to get a god cut ;(
    Good Luck...

GHoops

• cindyd_gardner
    17 years ago

go for the bigger lawn tractor, you never know what you will need it for..i have a husqvarna tractor, i have had it for 10 years, and never a problem..i plow snow and haul wood, and have doen things with it, you shouldnt do. it has been great..it also has a Kohler engine, which to me is the best..
    good luck

• lb59
    16 years ago

Most anything but a box store tractor.

• saltydog806
    16 years ago

Stay away from Craftsman, find out what transaxle is in whatever machine you want to get and research it. I know (through trying to find a replacement)that the dana (foote?) transaxle craftsman uses (used) has many problems and to buy a new one is VERY costly. Good Luck

• the-highlander
    16 years ago

I thinks that anything on or over £1500s would be man enough anything cheeper and it wont stand thew test of time.

That's my tuppence worth.

Cheers John

• lb59
    16 years ago

For anything other than mowing a small yard I'd go with at least a garden tractor.

I'd check out all the name brands.
    Price and compare em all.

• lb59
    16 years ago

It's hard for any brand to beat the bang for the buck of the 2500 and 3000 series Cub Cadets! !

• rowdy235
    16 years ago

i am personal to the "riding lawn mower" or rer. I have always used them until I bought my new craftsman. The only real advantage I can forsee to my craftsman LT is it has a wider cutting area. Any more i use the craftsman LT for mowing and the honda RER for all of the hauling and carting, etc. It honestly, IMO handles my garden cart better, and maneuvers better. Once I get the blade off and sharpened, it will be a bagger too.

• jimdod_hughes_net
    13 years ago

I like the Garden Tractors over riding mowers. One thing stay away from any thing made by MTD as they will give you the run around if you have problems. I have owned several with nothing but problems.

• rookies5
    13 years ago

Stay away from MTD or Huskee. Awful lawn mowers that are not even designed to allign the belts properly. nothing but problems!

• jmk8900_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Most of my yard is flat. I do have a hill in the front, which machine is best for cutting, riding or ZTR. I would like to used a ZTR, but I have heard they will side?
    Thanks
    John

• rcbe
    11 years ago

John - Prolly best to start a new thread - will get you more/better responses...this one is over 5 yrs old.

And need more/better info from you concerning your yard - obstacles, size, hill(s) steepness, etc... if you are already worried about sliding, mebbe best to re-landscape that area with no-maintenance ground cover.

• larso1
    11 years ago

wow rcbe. How did you pull up this one year old thread? LOL

• rcbe
    11 years ago

whups! surely did miss that one, larso... tnx for the heads up :)

Sponsored