Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo99_gw

Simplicity Prestige Help Needed

booboo99
12 years ago

I have a four year old Simplicity Prestige 4WD with a 27 HP Kohler engine. When I depress the brake/clutch pedal to start it, the tractor engine turns over like it should, and starts. However, as soon as I release the brake/clutch pedal, the engine stops. The only way I can get it to stay started is to keep the pedal depressed for about 3 minutes to let it warm up. I can then release the pedal and the engine stays started. I have replaced the safety switch under the seat and the safety switch under the brake/clutch pedal, but I still have the problem. It's a real problem as letting the tractor warm up in the garage releases exhaust fumes in my house. The wife is complaining! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

booboo99

Comments (9)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

"The wife is complaining! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! " So it boils down to keeping the tractor or keeping the wife, I see....
    The warming up part and something in the safety circuit don't seem to mix. Does it seem as though there is too much of a load initially, that the engine is "cold blooded' or that a switch simply shuts the tractor down to you- given the choice to pick one.

• mownie
    12 years ago

To add to tomplum's probing, let me ask: Is this a manual transaxle or a hydrostatic drive tractor?
    If it is a manual transaxle, will the engine die the same way if you let out on the clutch/brake when the trans gear selector is in neutral?

• booboo99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I had to pick one, it would be the engine is cold blooded. Also, this is a hydrostatic drive tractor.

• justalurker
    12 years ago

If your Kohler is carburated look to the the idle and slow speed circuit in the carb for blockage. Also the anti-backfire solenoid in the float bowl.

Look for an air leak between the carb and manifold and between the manifold and both heads.

Check the choke mechanism for proper operation.

Take a look at the air filter... both the pleated pleated and the foam pre-filter.

By any chance, did this problem surface after changing a fuel filter?

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Is it maybe a matter of fuel getting older, weather getting colder? There is also an updated carb for the CV twin on Prestige tractor in this years service school notes. There is also a separate service bulletin I believe. I would think your local Simplicity dealer is familiar with it.

• booboo99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you think the updated carb could be the fix for this problem?

• rcbe
    12 years ago

pull your choke full out to start the engine. as soon as engine catches, push choke back in part way so that engine runs reasonably well at mid-throttle. should then be able to let clutch out without engine stalling. Gradually over the next cuppla minutes, push choke all the way in (off).
    doing this is helpful in starting a cold engine, particularly as ambient temps are falling now.

• booboo99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@rcbe: I tried your method of starting the tractor, along with cleaning the contacts of the safety switches. SUCCESS!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED!!!!

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Cool. Thanks for posting and replying.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists