Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
einstein_cross

Turned into hill too quickly, hit...now tractor won't start.

Einstein_Cross
11 years ago

Good Evening.

Okay, so I'm cutting my yard the same way I've cut it hundreds of times before. I've got a GT 235 from the late 90s and it's been great. I'm driving lengthwise along one side of a drainage ditch in my front yard...right side of the tractor a bit higher than left side. I STUPIDLY turned to the left (downslope) too quickly and the evidently the top left side of the grill hit the ground as it sloped upward on the other side of the ditch. The tractor stopped.

I got it level and was able to start it up again, but it only ran for about 10 seconds and only because I was working the choke. It then died again and hasn't started since.

The engine cranks over, it just doesn't start. No oil leaks, no fluid leaks that I can see. When I was able to get it started just briefly I saw a bit of smoke but that was it.

Any ideas on what I could have done? I frankly don't think I hit hard enough to crack the block or do anything like that, but I'm wondering if I knocked a linkage loose or something. I've got the Deere folks coming by on Friday to take it in, but thought someone on this forum might have some ideas as to cause.

And believe it or not, I'm not an idiot. I take really good care of my stuff...this was just one of those "I wish I could get those two seconds back" moments. Aaargh!

Any constructive comments appreciated...as for "what are you, stupid?" comments, believe me I've already told myself every variant of that there is! :)

Take care and thanks for any suggestions/thoughts!

Larry

Comments (5)

• baymee
    11 years ago

Pull the plug(s) and see if they are wet.

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

Was the LT tipped over on it side? or at severe angle?. Probably need to do the basic's. IF it was tilted you probably need to ensure the oil level is correct ( I would drain it, change it) Pull the plugs as suggested, rinse the comb chamber out using carb. cleaner and motoring the engine over to clean the comb chamber of any oil that may of run in. Do compression check. Also see if you are getting spark at the plugs while you have them out. Last look for any wires that may of came loose.

Review you findings if the comb chamber had oil in it you should be able to clear it by above method and cleaning the spark plugs.

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Might be out of gas! Might have pulled off the fuel line from tank.

• dr_mike
    11 years ago

a couple of good suggestions on here, lack of spark due to wire pulled off. if the block was cracked, it would start but pump out oil. if the fuel line had come off, you should have seen or smelt fuel. i think that it is the float in the carburetor. when it tilted the float fell down and got stuck. it started becuase there was still fuel in the carb and it just sucked it out. try pouring a little gas down the throat of the carb and see if it will fire. if it does, then the bowl has to be pulled off.

• Einstein_Cross
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions; they were great to read and definitely things I'll keep in mind if I have a similar problem in the future.

As to this situation, as it turns out I had run out of gas (I know, I know). The thing is, I DID hit the opposing side a bit hard, and did in fact crack the upper hood (which I've since fixed using some fiberglass underneath and sanding/repainting on top). But I ran out of gas just as I was turning, so the two things happened at exactly the same time.

Now you guys can't of course know this, but I'm actually a really handy guy and I know my way around tools, etc. really well. If the damn thing had done the same symptoms when I was on level ground I'd have instantly realized I was out of gas, but the two things happening together put me down a road of assumption that I shouldn't have gone down. Like I said, good learning.

Thanks again for the advice...all good thoughts!

Take care.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting