Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdaystrom

Those new gas cans

rdaystrom
13 years ago

Do you guys like the new gas can spouts? I'm talking about the one with the lever you push to pour gas. Man I don't mind saying it...I just hate them. They take forever to pour any decent amount of fuel. Many do not to seem to have a spout cap and the spout fills up with water if accidentally left outside in the rain. The user then unknowingly pushes the button and the spout full of water goes into the can. Yea, I know it should be kept out of the rain but sometimes it happens.

Anyway, what I really hate is how they can just mandate that all cans have to have that dumb spout. My diesel can takes about 3 minutes to pour 1/2 gallon of fuel. That is forever. I just really hate the EPA and their pencil pushing idiots in the ivory tower. We are losing more and more freedoms every day my friends.

Comments (25)

• gregd
    13 years ago

I'm with you, brother. Mine have the sliding collar with a little lip that's supposed to catch whatever you're trying to fill. It bends plastic fuel tanks to the point of cracking them, they don't vent well, don't close when you try to stop fueling and frankly, I hate them. Thanks, EPA for saving us from ourselves.....grrrrr.....

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

I have one and fill a 2 cycle engine the sliding collar type , they S@#% BIG TIME!!!! I spill gas every time I use it . I have to put the can against my chest to open the raekin collar. The do gooder who invented these is a not a iddiot but a riddiot, the after is of course worse....

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

The local "sells everything store" had them for sale for several months/years. They sold all of 6-8. Then the store dropped the price. No sale. And, they sat on that shelf for a long time, looking forlorn and forgotten. I can't find them anywhere. I feel sorry for the stores that had those "sucker bait" cans for sale.
    Trouble was--there was no way to defeat the pour spout, short of cutting it off, and stuffing a cork in the opening!
    Must of been designed by kids in Kindergarten. Or college boys, who never had to pour gas into a lawn mower, or tractor!

• lkbum_gw
    13 years ago

Google racing gas cans. They are still vented and most have pretty nice optional pour spots/valves. Some cannot be shipped to all states because they are vented. They are not that cheap. See link to one on Amazon below, the vent is postioned so that you can control it with your thumb while pouring.

Here is a link that might be useful: racing gas can

• mondo
    13 years ago

Anyone know where one can get a metal gas can with a decent spout? I am surely tired of the plastic ones from China that always seem to leak for me.

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

I don't like them. This was not one of the EPA's better ideas.

Neighbor bought one and almost always spills filling his weedeater and chain saw. Seems to me he creates more evaporative emissions with a spill than I do with an old-style vented container but without spills.

I have several older ones, ranging from 1 gallon to 5 gallon. I keep my eyes open at the flea market and yards sales, and will grab them if cheap enough. I figure they are eventually going to disappear, and I'd like to have a couple of back-ups tucked away.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Rday:
    They Remind me of the Old 60's Style Explosion Proof Steel "Eagle" Units , but worse lol . I saw my 1st one while in Michigan at a Buddy's Deer Camp . I said to Him "Where the Hell did you Get that Sad Sack Piece of Sh%$" . His response please don't ask Roflmbo .

• lkbum_gw
    13 years ago

Ok, for those that did not see the previous post on racing cans. See the link below. These are vented cans with nice spouts available. Upon close reading on the description of the cans, these are "legal" VENTED cans when used for racing fuel. They are not approved by any of the idiots who screwed up gas cans in the first place, straight from the website..."NOTE: The VP Motorsport Container is intended only for use as a rapid refueling device for
    racing vehicles used in professional off road and closed course competition racing events. It is
    NOT a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies.
    Intended for racing fuel only; not to be used for street legal fuels"
    and of course... I would never use them with street legal fuels, yea right

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK to GAS CANS WITH VENTS

• mownie
    13 years ago

***"off road and closed course competition racing events"***
    PERFECT!!!!!!! You just stand over near the edge of your yard and shout at your neighbor's house "I'll bet I can fill my John Deere's gas tank faster than you can fill your Craftsman." and that makes it a competitive race.
    Put the recommended volume of Stabil and Marvel Mystery Oil in the can and the contents are no longer "Street Legal" (at least in the sense that you can't buy that formula straight from the pump at the convenience mart.

• baymee
    13 years ago

When the rubber spout broke off my old can, I had to be creative. I have two Jerry jugs from WWII that I welded bushings onto and screwed in faucets. Those sit on a shelf and fill my riders with a hose attached.

Don't mind the sawdust on the cap.

{{gwi:355009}}

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Further to the Former "Eagle Explosion Proof" Metal Fuel cans , further remember when we had to dispense IPA. (Alcohol) for Compressed Air System Freeze Protection , not only did you have to wrestle with the secondary handle lever detent but had to ensure to securely affix the ground clamps...talk about needing 3 hands lol . I guess in their wisdom Epa & ASIME & CCSRA don't apply common sense and convenience lol . Thank God the New cans have not sufaced North of the Border ...YET !

• mownie
    13 years ago

***"Thank God the New cans have not sufaced North of the Border ...YET !"***
    Well, they're coming to you eventually!
    NAFTA requires that "Any law or act of stupidity developed and enacted in the United States of America shall be adopted by Canada and Mexico as described herein."
    Canada= 10 years after USA
    Mexico= 50 years after USA
    :^)

• marineguy
    13 years ago

I have a 5 gallon steel can by blitz which isn't bad. It has a plunger type spout, with a little tab on it which you rest against the inside rim of your tractor's fuel tank to open when the can is fully inverted. It actually works pretty well, since no gas pours out until the spout is fully inside the tank to be filled. I've never timed it, but it doesn't take long at all to fill my 4 gallon tank. I bought it at a NC Home Depot a couple years ago, but I haven't seen it stocked since. It's available on Amazon. See link:

Here is a link that might be useful: blitz can

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

Well I am movin to Canada for 10 years and Mexico for 40, imagine gettin arrested with a truck load of illegal gas cans from Canada.....LOL

• ewalk
    13 years ago

What Part of Canada Doberman ?

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

I was refering to Mownie,s statement about

Canada= 10 years after USA
    Mexico= 50 years after USA
    Canada is a beautiful country . heck you wouldnt want me there id drive ya all batty.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Yeah I know was just yanking your chain Dude : I was inferring that if you were heading East to Newfoundland you could probably expand the time frame to that of Mexico lol . Otherwise if you head North to Quebec you might end up with a molotov cocktail if you follow my drift :)

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

I apreciate your humor , there is a lot of thin skin now a days , humor is good. This forum is good therapy..enlightens the day.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Ditto Doberman ! Your quite correct ...Enjoy Your Weekend Bro !

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

I just really hate the EPA and their pencil pushing idiots in the ivory tower"

I gotta laugh! everyone in the EPA should be fired, there sold purpose was to get us off middle east oil back in the mid 70's under the other failure of a president?!? talk about total failure of a organization! Only in the fed government you can have total failure and still grow! it's like untreated cancer with your money!

Want to know why there are no manufacturing jobs in the USA Look at this out of control gov. libreal agency, but wait it gets worse when cap and trade TAX will be enacted with EPA laws. You think you've seen the worse? NOT EVEN CLOSE when they get there slimmy hands on electricity.

I just don't understand how a company can move to another country polute (and the wind blows it right over the border), have near slave labor and still sell a product in this country with no Tarriffs or restrictions. But wait with lobbist kickbacks!!!!!! AAAUUUUUUUUUUUu I think I just hit the nail on the head. who carries more weight a worker or a lobbist corrupting your elected official. amazing how most long term policktision become mulit-millionaires when they wasn't when they got elected??? just two out of hundreds something don't add up in mr reeds or Bitme case??????

I think we need to feel lucky we can even buy gas in small cans due to there explosive protential.

• baymee
    13 years ago

It's ALL about people-control.

• homegrown55
    12 years ago

Sounds like Obamanomics was really getting to you guys at this point. EPA and Odummy both suck, so DONT VOTE for him in 2012!

• ewalk
    12 years ago

HG: Do us a favour and start a new thread on your own !

• quickrick
    12 years ago

So what I did with my Midwest 5 gallon can is to modify the end using a hacksaw to cut of the red end. After that I did install a piece of 3/4 heater hose and a cork. I have a manual ait tank drain for venting which makes it pour about 7 times faster now.
    Note: this can now doesn't spill a drop and my arms don't get tired waiting for the can to drain out. It is more environment friendly now than before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Midwest plastic spout

• rej2
    12 years ago

These aint too bad

Sponsored