Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Tecumseh VH70 flywheel rubbing against the coil wires

baymee
12 years ago

I had an idled John Deere 70 (1972) brought to the shop to get running. It wasn't used for at least 10 years. Generally speaking, except for a thousand generations of mice nests on the engine block, it is in excellent condition.

When I pulled the flywheel, I noticed that the underside of the flywheel had cut notches in the two wires coming from the coil to the points, exposing some bare wire on both wires. There doesn't seem to be any clearance between those two wires and the flywheel, even when pressed down tight against the coil.

The engine runs now and doesn't seem to be affected. It seems to be a design problem.

Ever see this before?

Comments (7)

• ericwi
    12 years ago

Could you chamfer the flywheel to make a bit more clearance?

• baymee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't remember if that was an option. The flywheel is back on and the engine runs.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before?

• ericwi
    12 years ago

Yes, have seen it before, but not on a Tecumseh VH70 flywheel. In a factory, when people get rushed, and they are trying to speed things up, parts can go through with certain steps that were not completed. Chamfering, and de-burring come to mind, I have seen examples of both. I'll bet that somewhere there is a drawing of your flywheel, and it calls out a chamfer on the edge that faces the coil.

• baymee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

But ericwi, this was back in '72 when hippies roamed the earth :)

There was no rushing around back then buy maybe the guy who machined my flywheel was on a rush. :)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

My guess is it was a routing problem. You had to be careful back in the day when routing those wires or they could rub through and kill the spark. Ask me now how they route and all I have to share is a dumb look....

• baymee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to let it be. The area of rub-through is about 1/2" from where the wires exit the encapsulated coil body. I could only press the wires tight against the body, but that's where they were to begin with.

If a problem arises, I'll know what to do now.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

I have seen ignition coils that had the wires taped to the body of the coil/magneto. The engines ran well. RJ

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio