Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkaine

Deere 445 ego wont start after backfire

kkaine
12 years ago

I have a JD 445 with fuel injection. It was running fine then I heard a backfire and it will not start anymore. Doesn't even try to start. Both cylinders have spark..even tried ether with nothing. One cylinder is full of fuel and the other is dry.

Comments (6)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Do both cylinders have compression? If one or both do not have it-professional help is advised! Also a complete check of the ignition system is advised.
    It sounds like-maybe,an ill-timed ignition spark might have damaged the cam shaft, blown a piston, or other things can happen. Hard to tell, without a compression check and other tests. BT/DT: Rusty J.

• Fourcycle
    12 years ago

I don't know squirt about the engine used in this machine but it's not uncommon to "spin" the flywheel on a backfire, thereby throwing off the ignition timing on engines with a flywheel magneto. There's a soft aluminum key between the crankshaft and flywheel that shears when this happens.

In your case, having fuel injection, the spark timing is probably also handled by an engine computer. Perhaps the crankshaft position sensor was relocated upon the backfire? A likely spot for that sensor would be on the flywheel...

• kkaine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback
    Ok - one on the cylinders has compression and the other does not. Is there any way to determine what the issue is.

• mownie
    12 years ago

First you need to remove the valve covers so you can inspect the valve related parts.
    Check that the push rods are in their proper places. If a push rod has come loose from a rocker arm this only indicates that their is a further problem (bent or sticking valve or valve seat loose).
    If the push rods are in their rightful places, you need to turn the engine (by hand) while watching the movements of the valves (watch one cylinder at a time) to determine whether or not all the valves are moving identical distances.
    You also need to check the valve lash for excessive clearance and if their is too much lash, check the height of the valve spring to see if it is the same height as the other valve on that cylinder.
    If the spring appears to be "shorter" than the other valve spring, that suggests either a bent valve or an out of place valve seat.
    If both valve springs are equal height, check for a bent rocker arm or bent/damaged push rod.
    If all appears to be OK with valve train, the next step in determining the cause of no compression would be to perform a "cylinder leakage test" using compressed air.
    This test is something best done by people with fairly advanced mechanical experience/skill.
    I suggest that if you do not find a problem in the valve train after doing the visual checks............you may want to farm the further testing out to a pro shop, or at least secure the help of a pro mechanic to lead you through the next steps.
    The biggest requirement for the cylinder leakage test is compressed air. If you do not have an air compressor, you can't do a leakage test.

• kkaine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Both the rods are not in the proper place. I think is it time for an expert. Thanks for all of the help.

• mownie
    12 years ago

***"I think is it time for an expert."***
    I agree. That BOTH push rods are out of place could mean that the cylinder has suffered some kind of "catastrophic" damage.
    Only a tear down can reveal the extent of damage now.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH