Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken1973

Please help identify mower

ken1973
10 years ago

I believe this is an MTD 660 thru 679 transmatic lawn tractor. I'm really having a problem trying to get technical assistance as I am in South Africa. The local agents gave me the MTD .com address (when I requested an email for technical assistance). I cannot dial the 1800 number from SA as given on the MTD website.
I need the belt sizes so I can get some locally
I need a picture of the deck so I can make one. I need to know how it mounts to the tractor.

Its a 18hp vanguard twin v engine. The deck was a 46" and the sticker says change on the go.

Any help out there - PLEASE?

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

My best guess on traction belts would be 954-0280 (front) and 954-0370 for the rear. You will find over and over again to use the OEM belts only, which you should try to do for good reason. If it isn't possible, I could measure- but notes should be on the web. The deck is depending on what PTO system it has. Some 46" deck s had idler pulleys under the pan and engaged w/ a separate lever. Most older 46" decks on a 600 series would create belt tension as the deck was lowered. So, is there a separate engagement lever on yours? You could post the first two digits of the engine code # and that would give us a year.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Can you find a model number such as found in the link I posted?
    Format such as 133L670G147

Here is a link that might be useful: I Posted

• ken1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The MTD parts search tells me no records are found!

• ken1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi tomplum
    There is no separate engagement lever for the deck so I assume the tension was created by lowering the deck.
    I'm going to try and see if OEM belts can be found locally, if not I'll ask you to measure for me. Thanks a million

• tomplum
    10 years ago

When you search for parts, drop the 602 and you will get results. Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: parts tree

• Greg Goyeneche
    10 years ago

The previous posts answered most of the issues, but I'll summarize so the OP has all the information in one place:

1) Engine to Deck Belt:
    OEM 7540439 or 9540439; 5/8 x 60 or B57
    OEM better but have successfully substituted aftermarket or FHP

2) Deck Belt, Blade to Blade:
    OEM 7540440 or 9540440; 1/2 x 99 or A97
    OEM better but have successfully substituted aftermarket or FHP

3) Engine to VS Pulley:
    OEM 754028 or 9540280; 5/8 x 53 or B50
    Only use OEM; This is the only one I would never substitute

4) VS Pulley to Transaxle:
    OEM 7540370 or 9540730; 5/8 x 48 or B45
    OEM preferable, but substitute can be used as long as it is Kevlar corded and has wrapped construction.

Just my two cents, but I would use aftermarket on the deck, and OEM on the power train, because the power train is often more difficult to remove and replace. The deck is much easier, so if you get shorter life, at least it's a 30 minute job vs. a couple of hours.

• rustyj14
    10 years ago

If you don't have the correct deck for the tractor, you could rig up a method of towing a mower deck behind the tractor. It would need a running engine on it. I did that with an old Craftsman lawn tractor, which didn't have the right deck on it, and i had no way of finding the right one. I also did it with a lawn tractor that had the correct operating deck on it. I made an off-set draw-bar to pull the extra mower deck, which i needed to mow an extra large lawn area. A bit of experimenting will enable you to figure out the correct design of the tow-bar! And the pattern to use when you mow!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES