Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steven123nelson

318 and deck ID?

steven123nelson
9 years ago

I just purchaced a 318 with mower deck. It needs a lot of work and parts to restore it but for the life of me I cannot find out anything about it. The plate on the deck is "m01013x567629" and the mower product id number is "m00318x432084".

I cannot buy parts for anything because I am not sure what I have?
Thanks for any help, Steven

Comments (12)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Fortunately for most of your deck parts, you just really need to know what deck. A side to side , blade tip to blade tip measurement would help. By me there are mostly 46" and a few of the replacement 48"s that appear. The model seems like possibly a 50" to me. Are you looking to avoid the dealer? That would be your easiest place to start. Anyways, congrats on the new beast!

• steven123nelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I have contacted a dealer and they were not much help. The previous owner did a lot of "rigging" with parts that do not belong, lol. The deck had a newer belt that was a 96". I see that no deck has this? I did start tearing things down and measured the deck to find it is a 50" though.
    I plan on trying to restore it back to original but hard I found out and very expensive!
    I rebuilt the starter so far and it does run so that is a plus.
    I am enclosing a picture of what i am starting with. I only gave $100 for this so I am very excited.
    I am sure I will be asking many questions soon. Hope they are not too silly. I do try to google as much as possible but get frustated on the lack of info I find. Thanks, Steven

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Lots of iron there for a 100 dollar bill. May it be a good journey.

• steven123nelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well things are getting better. The previous owner called and said I forgot to pickup the grass catcher and tiller that went with it. He said the tiller never was hooked up because of no pto clutch? (I'll look into that later). But the catcher works fine.

Now I cannot get the fuel pump working correctly. The mower has set for many years. I am soaking it in wd-40 to maybe help out with the dry gaskets.

Anyways: I am excited now, lol

• tomplum
    9 years ago

I think we need project updates as you move along here. Pics are always good!

• steven123nelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well i am getting there I think. Is it looking better so far?

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

This has been on this forum before but it never hurts to repost it.

"http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt";

Find the id plate on the tractor to get the model number. Enter the model number in the upper corner and that should bring up more that you thought you needed to know about your tractor.

It is looking good. Surprising what a "couple of hours" will do to the appearance of a tractor ;-)

• steven123nelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info but I enter my # and nothing found? I even double checked to make number was right? :)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Yeah, the basic 318 nomenclature is what you type in there. Then through the pages, usually in the attachment or implement sections on GTs will get you to the deck. The tractor looks pretty darn good. In a short order of time may I add. That tire cleaner that renews the sidewalls would have the skins shiny like the rest. I can almost hear it snort now!

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

The information on the John Deere Site can be seen by searching on 318.

I have attached the image of the screen the shows the parts for that tractor.

There are many sections for parts, under that header. While I did not see a total tractor schematic I did not look in every heading.

• steven123nelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I feel stupid. I was typing in the id number not "318" LMAO.
    I did find a 440 page 318 pdf manual and downloaded it. Some day I will have time to read it?
    Thanks for the replys. I will post more pics when I get further along. Now it is just a money issue buying a seat etc etc etc.

• steven123nelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another silly question; I was also given the rear wheel weights.
    I have no idea why I would want or need them? I plan on only using this to mow and maybe move trailers around.
    It seams to me that less weight would be better? maybe someone can enlighten me? thanks
    BTW was also given a rotor tiller (this 318 has no 3 point with it)
    snow chains (not going to mow in the snow) and a box blade (again no 3 point) and a couple of other attatchments that I do not know what they are called but again no 3 point?