Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mailman22_gw

Homemade lawn vacuum?

mailman22
16 years ago

A while back ago, I remember a rather lenghty thread posted about a guy who made his own tow behind leaf/lawn vac. I searched all over, but couldn't find it. Does anyone have the link?

I'd like to make one from a chipper vac that runs but is missing the bag and other stuff. I want to run a hose from my deck to vac and from vac to homemade enclosed cart.

If anyone has done this,or something similar, I'd love to see some pics.

Thanks

Comments (19)

• mith
    16 years ago

Pretty much step by step....

Here is a link that might be useful: Linkie

• gmcman
    16 years ago

I'm the one that started that link, or at least I believe it's the one you are referring to, but I cannot find it either...tried to search under my screenname to no avail, won't go back far enough. I don't know why the search wont pull it up either....does this site delete threads after so long? I can post pics again if we cannot find it.

• senorjosef
    16 years ago

Inspired by that thread, I built one and used it for two years. It worked great. No need to connect a chipper vac to it.

However, don't waste you time. The idea is good, but there is a better and easier solution: gator blades. There are many reasons for this. Search for more info. I do over 3 acres w/many trees going on second year now. So far, so good.

• yetty734
    16 years ago

could u post pics all the way to completion gmcman?id be greatful...thanx. ive been consider building a smaller scale one for my lt.

• butchs_hobby
    16 years ago

Must be that time of year, I've been thinking about making one myself but would like to run the vac/shredder off of the rear pto on my GT. I missed one on ebay about a year ago, been kicking my own you know what every since. I also would appreciate some pics to get ideas from in making my set up.

• miker_2008
    16 years ago

The document you are looking for is at the Yahoo Group called John_Deere_L100_Club. It's in the files section. You'll need to join the group to access the files section, look for the "Leaf Collector Project"

• mailman22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey mith, thanks for the link. Good pics and ideas there!

gmcman, have you found the pics yet? I would like to see yours again. thanks!

• gmcman
    16 years ago

Sorry for the late reply...here are some pics. If I did it over again I would make it about 4" shorter and take some 1x3's and fabricate a duct about 3" high and about 10" wide mounted to the top, directing the discharge back and not up.

You will need some 6" black pipe and a roof flashing both avail from Home Depot. Cut the flashing out so the pipe will fit and secure with a few screws. The flex tube I used was 7" and fits perfectly over the boot...the boot is pricey but is well worth it, gotta love sears parts.

I used some bicycle tie-downs for the hose release, also clamp the hose just past the notches on the factory boot...should hold it in place.

I highly recommend you do this with dry leaves, best bet is to hit it once with the mower then go pick them up...saves room in the cart. You can pick them up first time around just have to dump more often. Some will say to just mulch them up but I have so many leaves it's not an option, I have to collect them. I tried mulching but when pulverized they are almost 1 1/2" deep in the yard...looks like crap as well.

Go slow and it works like a champ, mine only clogs when I go too fast or when wet.

{{gwi:355728}}

{{gwi:355729}}

{{gwi:355730}}

{{gwi:355731}}

{{gwi:355732}}

{{gwi:355733}}

• gmcman
    16 years ago

Forgot the hose....here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hose linky

• mownie
    16 years ago

gmcman, it's not "too late" to change the direction of the discharge (to downward). Just add another piece of plywood or sheet metal (a "deflector") to the existing discharge so that the "added" piece angles downward at about 45 degrees or so. Another idea that I mentioned in another thread (pertaining to this concept) is to make the "top cover" of the cart entirely out of 1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth (or even "chicken wire"). Your use of the hose hanger straps (stretchy rubber thingies) is very effective. Your photos are good. Thanks for your efforts and creativity.

• gmcman
    16 years ago

Mownie...

Are you referring to the black pipe on the inside of the cart? If so, I was actually referring to the holes on the top which...if the wind is right, will put some of the discharge on my neck. The plywood doesn't really alter the discharge of the cart because of the deflector...It shoots straight up regardless just from the pressure. I actually have added a hardware cloth rectangular cage under the holes to cut down on large debris from exiting but the dust still shoots straight up.

I'll get a pic of the "alteration" later in the week.

• mownie
    16 years ago

Ok, I get it now, even if it does discharge downward, the draft just keeps everything stirred up. You might be better off to make your "swing up" dump gate out of 1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth (instead of being a solid panel) fixed to a perimeter frame of wood and close off the holes in the top cover. Hardware cloth is not a "fabric" it is galvanized steel, wire mesh (in case the term is confusing to some). This way the draft, the debris and the "fine stuff" go out the back and not upward where the prevailing wind can blow it back toward you as easily. Might work better if you get the place where the draft finally exits the cart as far away from you as possible.

• archangel2003
    14 years ago

"Even if it does discharge downward, the draft just keeps everything stirred up"

Ever seen how those tornado like dust collectors work?

I'd put the input off to one side and add a baffle so it spins the larger particles to the side and down.

• archangel2003
    14 years ago

That forum listed below was fantastic for showing a vacuum trailer!
    Every step of the build!

Mine will most likely be vary much like the one posted by gmcman

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Lawn_Mower_Central/index.php?showtopic=2361&st=45

• jsaw
    14 years ago

This is great! I am looking to build a unit like this myself. I have a 1994, Husqvarna, Model LR111, with a 36" mower deck. I have contacted Husqvarna to locate a deck boot to fit my mower deck, but they have since changed the design and parts for this are hard to come by. Any suggestions from this group for an alternative deck boot would be helpful.

thanks

• outbarusuback
    12 years ago

{{gwi:355734}}ÃÂ {{gwi:355735}}ÃÂ
    {{gwi:355736}}

• mownie
    12 years ago

Ah Hah! Man, that is great.

• Mccwho_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Where did you get the motor and vac housing from????

• Ken6836
    12 years ago

where did you get an inexpensive blower

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville