Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bstoro

Toro LX420 Reattaching PTO Spring Help!!

bstoro
14 years ago

Hello everyone - I just joined the forum. I've been doing some searching.. I NEED SOME HELP! I have to be doing something wrong..

I replaced the Deck Belt on my Toro LX420. Went through all the steps and everything was pretty easy. I got the deck hooked back and the last thing I need to do reattach the PTO spring. My problem is that I can't get the hook on the end of the spring through the small hole. I've tried and tried. I can't get the spring to bend enough so that I can get the hook at an angle in order for it to slip through. It's driving me crazy!!

Can anyone help?? PLEASE!

Thanks in advance! Brandon

Comments (9)

• windcatcher
    14 years ago

Brandon,

Welcome to the site. Lots of good information here.

I'm not familiar with your machine, but I do have a suggestion: Depending on how much room you have, you might go to your local Autozone or auto parts store and purchase a set of brake spring pliers. They really aren't expensive, and they come in handy for lots of other chores.

I've been able to use mine to replace springs for the idler pulleys, springs on the mowing deck, and many other places. Well worth the few bucks you'll spend, and it'll save the skin on your knuckles as well as the "turning the water gray" with expletives if you know what I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brake Spring Pliers - what the look like

• bstoro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks - but I'm not sure if that will help. My problem is getting the hook at the end of the spring through the hole. It may be hard to picture this.. but in order to fit the hook through (I think) you have to turn the spring downward - the problem is there isn't enough room to turn it down far enough to get it to fit. And the spring isn't flexible enough to bend in order to get it to fit.

Hopefully someone with the same model can help out. I feel like I'm doing something wrong b/c it shouldn't be this difficult.

Here's a link to the Toro site.. if you click through to step 4 on the LX420 you'll see how the hook is attached. It comes off easy - but I can't get it back on.

http://216.213.143.2/ProAuthor/ManProc.cfm?ManualID=425&ProcID=14796

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

I have used a coat hanger wire to pull the spring back into position. Make a loop, twist it tight around the hook, then put the wire back thru the place where the hook is supposed to go, pull it tight, and clamp it, then twist it so it can't come out. You'll only lose about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of tautness, and it will do until you can get it fixed correctly. I give this idea as a temporary solution--otherwise known as a "Jury-rig".
    One question--can you unhook the other end, and try to get it back on after putting the difficult end in first?

• tomplum
    14 years ago

If the spring you are referring to is for the belt tension- make it easy on yourself and hook the spring up before installing the belt. I then roll the belt over the PTO clutch, but to make it easier, you can keep a cover off and roll it over a spindle pulley last.

• bstoro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's the PTO cable - not the belt tension.

Anyone out there have the LX420. If I could just talk to someone with the same model I'm sure they'd know what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

• mownie
    14 years ago

You might click the link below and look in the Toro Owner's Manual. Or you may post your tractor technical model number and serial number here (it requires the full model number at the Toro site to get the PDF). I have found he Toro manuals to be helpful in the past. Full technical model number may be found under or near the seat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro Owner's Manual page

• tomplum
    14 years ago

SO your having difficulty hooking the spring end (which is attached to the end of the cable) to the arm on the deck? And there is a small rod that travels across that area of the deck which is hindering attaching the spring- correct? The spring hooks through from the underside. The easiest way is to do this before the deck is attached and the belt is on. This way you can have the deck part way slid out so you get at the arm easier, more slack in the cable and can hook it w/o interfering w/ the rod by moving the spring to to the side. Or, you can pull a cover and detach the brake rod so it doesn't interfere.

• armeso_aol_com
    12 years ago

Turn the spring upside down & go through the bottom I just replaced my belt & thought it went through the top had the same problem if you do what i said it will work ive worked on industrial lawn mowers for 5 years at calumet park cemetary.trust me try it

• tom sexton
    7 years ago

You have to put the spring hook on the under side of the hole not over the top of it

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz