Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New/Old Tractor

Posted by susie53 USDA Z 5 In (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 13:36

A neighbor of my father-in-law purchased a tractor from him many years ago. My husband went to school with the guy and has stayed in contact with him over the years. The guy was getting rid of some things and contacted my husband to see if he would like to buy it. My husband jumped at the opportunity. My husband remembers his dad buying the Massey new in 1955. I was thrilled for my husband. He and his dad were so close.. We sure didn't need another tractor as we have 3 but this one was special to him.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New/Old Tractor

Congrats I know the feeling!

I have two and would have 3 now if I had known my brother was going to sell Dads a while after he inherited it.

A 1950 Allis Chalmer B. I think someone made him an offer that he couldn't refuse. I never got to ask my brother, He passed a year ago this week.

I have all of the equipment that went with it, my brother left it all here on the farm and the guy he sold it too didn't want anything but the bush hog that was on it.

o

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 18:09

Great story. Would be interesting to know if it's a Massey-Harris or Massey Ferguson, and which model. Seems like a lot of the Massey-Harris models were the taller row crop design, whereas the Massey Fergusons were generally the utility design (low profile like the Fords). Since I don't own a farm, I wouldn't mind having a Massey Ferguson 35 or 50 to play with, control weeds, etc.

o

larso1, didn't the Ferguson look a lot like the Ford 8N?

o

Back around 1947-8, i worked for a Ford tractor/ car dealer. We worked on the Early tractors. Those older models all looked the same, or nearly so. I can't remember which model they were, but-the Ferguson and the Ford looked alike, except for minor differences. I only worked there for 2 years, and moved on. RJ. And yes, i am that old! Born in '24!

o

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 21:10

Javert, that's right. As you can see below, the Massey Ferguson 35 is a utility tractor that looks very much like a Ford 8n, or 600 and 800 series utility tractors.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Where I come from we referred to the Ford N models as "Red belly Fords" because of their red painted chassis which contrasted with the gray hood and fenders.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here