Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyk_gw

Does Ferris zero-turn need no-ethanol gas?

nancyk
12 years ago

We have been reading that gasoline with ethanol does much damage to small engines(weedeaters/chainsaws/boat engines)and this summer began buying no ethanol gasoline for our Ferris IS2000Z(2007 model). I have been trying to contact the Ferris company to see if this is necessary but cannot get on their website. We know that newer model automobiles are designed to run on gasoline with some ethanol but any ideas about our Ferris?

Comments (18)

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

All gas refinery in 2009 July are last one changed to all-ethanol in united states.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

believe ferris put several make/model engines in that mower series.. prolly best to find out which one is in your machine - go to engine mfgrs website and chk for answer to yer query.

M/W, you can chk the link below for stations offering ethanol-free fuel in Tennessee...

Here is a link that might be useful: ethenol free TN gas stations

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

"All gas refinery in 2009 July are last one changed to all-ethanol in united states."

Not doubting you words, but we have several gas stations that sell ethanol free gas in my area. I wouldn't think that they would be allowed to state that it is ethanol free if it isn't. Of course it costs about $0.15 more per gallon.

My 1950's Allis-Chalmer CA runs much better on it.

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

A 10% addition of ethanol is a 10% drop in fuel economy and performance and now these riddiots want 15% . Anyone who has a e-85 automobile has a loss of performance and fuel economy using this stuff. The stuff never took off in my area.
    by the way a riddiot is much worse than a iddiot..

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

ethanol has been around since the early 80's. IMO Yes, early 80's and older cars/ equipment engines may of had problems with ethanol eating up the rubber seals if preventive maintenance wasn't done. Now days engines and fuel systems are built to handle ethanol providing you don't let the equipment set for long periods of time. Yes you loose some amount of power due to the alcohol content and of course lot more water is induced in the system. This is why you have to change filters more often, treat the ethanol with fuel additive, and don't let ethanol set long periods of time. Adding additive will help of short term storage, but IMO long term storage will still produce clogged up carb..

Fuel injection systems seems to handle ethanol lot better due to fuel storage is mainly in the tank not in the ejectors.

IMO if ethanol only choice in your area then you have to take precautions while equipment stored. If you have choice then gasoline without ethanol would be priority for me. Why? I can store my equipment longer, my engine has little more power, burns it more effiently, don't have to worry about water, and small equipment rubber hose deteriorating 10 times quicker than reqular gasoline.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

All I know is that, since I began adding a cap full of MMO to every fill up AND running the carbs dry on the stuff with a shut off, my lousy gas troubles have mostly ceased. I have even stopped using stabilizer

• ckr74
    12 years ago

Just use std. gas you put in your car. Don't know what what part of the country you are in but here in the midwest almost everything is 10% ethanol. I've never had any problems. Your Ferris is no different than any other mower with a small engine. If it bothers you-you can use stabil when storing over the winter.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

ckr: Ethanol of any % will cause grief if an additive is not used within the small engines. Carburators or fuel injectors within automobiles are much more forgiving to moisture relate issues caused by the alcohol within ethanol.
    Using any ethanol or carb cleaner / conditioner as preventative measure will reduce the heartache later .
    MMO as Andy has suggested or Seafoam or Star*tron are good insurance within small engine fuel circuit fouling protection. Stabil for long term storage is an adder .

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

The dealer just dropped my tractor off and I put a double shot of stabil in it. I must admit , never had any trouble with blended gas ,but corn belongs in soft drinks.

• ckr74
    12 years ago

Maybe I'm just lucky. I don't use any stabilizer in any of my small engines. Never have. I've heard that 2 cycle oil has some in it already. I'm just sayin.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

ckr: Back in the day I never used fuel treatments either . I just removed the diaphram from the carb stored it in fuel and drained the fuel tank . Can't get away with that anymore lol . I'am fortunate don't have ethanol fuel , but friends from Michigan have loads of issues with their small engine equipment without preventative measures .
    If your getting away with no fuel additives thats gret , just not the norm when it comes to ethanol based fuels usually.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

"heard that 2 cycle oil has some in it already" Yes, it the oil mixed with the gas!. Oil won't turn to jell, break down, and has lubricating properties for very Long time. Only the gas in the oil will degenerate IMO.

• zoulas
    12 years ago

I use for 4 cycle:

Red Stabil + Lucas Fuel Conditioner

I use for 2 cycle:

Green Stabile + Lucas Fuel Conditioner + Stihl Synthetic 2 cycle oil

Never drain any tank, fill it up at the end of the season.

Make it a point to start it for maintenace warm up at least every 2 months.

IMO, draining the tank causes problems as it lets condensation build up. Plus, you can NEVER really get ALL of the gas out of the carb by running it dry. Those remaining 1-2 drops will dry up and CLOG your CARB.

My 2 Cents.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Some do and some don't! I think the key is your situation is "Make it a point to start it for maintenace warm up at least every 2 months" Do that IMO and you most likely won't have problem. If I leave gas in the tank (requardless what additive I put in it)during sortage I always drain it and clean the tank before I fire the engine up coming out of storage.

• ckr74
    12 years ago

I went out to my shed to start the snowblower. Third pull and She's running. No stabilizer w/half a tank of gas-4 cycle so no mix. I just don't have problems with fuel like some people are claiming.Also I get my fuel from Phillips66 if that means anything. I sure it's 10%.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

"I just don't have problems with fuel like some people are claiming"

I'll add the last word to that sentence "YET"

You claim you have no problems but you reveal no history to back it up. Let it set long enough and I'll claim you will have problems even if you put phillips 66 in it.

• ckr74
    12 years ago

I've been around small engines a long time. I'm just telling of my dealing with the gas these days. I just don't have problems with it "YET". been working on them since the late 70's off and on. I know some people are having problems with the fuel. I'm also not saying that addatives aren't needed in some cases. Thanks!

• ewalk
    12 years ago

In a perfect world where you use your ethanol fuel within 30 days and store it in a air tight container you may not have issues . But if you do not use accordingly ordo not use a fuel conditioner meant for etahnol within small engines you will have issues , end of story. Ethanol attracks moisture which will quickly gum up fuel circuits within carburators if left untreated within a few mths. There is no miricle prayer which will change the law of physics lol .

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area