Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgtr

Spinner Handle that Fits Steering Wheel Properly?

pgtr
14 years ago

I tried one once before on my LX255. It didnt' fit properly - it angled inward instead of pointing straight up and mounted poorly on the wheel itself. I customized the mounting bracket a bit and it is 'OK' now but not perfect. At least it is made out of steel.

I recently saw this newer spinner knob from deere (TY26583) in combination with this adapter from deere (PM00950).

Q: Can anyone tell me if this 'combo' will work well?

Q: Will it properly orient the spinner upward?

Q: And is the adapter 'strong' enough? It looks a little flimsy and 'plasticy' in the picture... I drive thru some rough areas and between kickback from the front steering and pushing/pulling - I can put a good amount of force on one.

thanks!

{{gwi:356001}}
{{gwi:356002}}

Comments (10)

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

The proper name for that is: "Cowboy knob"! They were all the rage back in the 30's and 40's, but The Guvment safety gurus felt that they were inherently dangerous, so they banned them, with a hefty fine, to boot!
    That being said---they did make an exception for folks with one arm, either from war injury, or accidents, what ever. One of my friends had them on his cars, and his farm tractors. He lost his arm in a piece of farm machinery! And that ruined his guitar playing-big time!

• pgtr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep - I've heard a number of nicknames for these, spinner knob and spinner handle being the most common AFAIK. I believe they were long since banned from motor vehicles operated on public highways.

Any info on my questions above?

• pgtr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Any forum members tried this spinner ...? ?

thx

• tjeffers
    14 years ago

Hello pgtr,

All I can offer you is my experience. I have one with the metal bracket instead of the plasticky one pictured (non-deere, came from a 'tractor supply' type place). The steering wheel is padded and the metal brackets crimp right down on it. My steering is quite stiff and I feel that I'm glad that it is assembled out of metal. I'm like you, wondering how well that plastic mount would hold up during any stress.

Hope this helps,
    Terry

• metal
    14 years ago

I bought the metal version from Deere for my LX178 and it works perfectly. I had a plastic version, but it never tightened down enough.

• ridonkulus
    12 years ago

OP, I just ordered one. Still waiting for it to arrive...

I tried the Easy Rider from Amazon. It was so awesome. I do a lot of 180 turns and this made it go real easy. Overall faster cut time. But they sent me a red one (ad pic was green) and didn't like the look of red on all that green/yellow. Another thing I didn't like was how it indents the soft steering wheel and likely will leave a permanent imprint. Figure with the JD spinner seems more integrated with the tractor (X304) so wouldn't be inclined to take it off...

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Gee, how many tears did you shed when you found it was RED!? TSK, TSK, TSK! RJ

• briggsgalaxieman
    12 years ago

FYI they sell the 'Easy Rider' at Lowes'. $16.99. I have one on my Craftsman GT5000 and it works GREAT.....Left hand on the 'suicide knob' and right hand on the hydro speed control.....

{{gwi:356004}}

• ridonkulus
    12 years ago

briggsg...nice!

rustyj. you crack me up. like a clown. rusty the clown! hahahaha.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice vote of confidence! Your name fits your answer! :o(