Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MTD model 608 mower will not start

Posted by jpsheerin none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 14:06

I've been having issues with my MTD lawnmower for a few years and it has finally died. The battery is new (1 year) and has enough power to turn an engine over. The engine does not turn at all anymore when I turn the key. Help! I've changed the spark plug, looked at the starter, solenoids, gas filter and still no luck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MTD model 608 mower will not start

A battery is always suspect until it has been charged and LOAD tested.

I have no idea what engine you have, but if it's a Briggs OHV, than you need to adjust the valves with the PROPER procedure.
The compression release is dependent on proper valve lash.

o

is it worth getting repaired if its not the battery

o

Yes, unless it has something seriously wrong with it.
You are not providing a wealth of information so far.
It would help to know the Brand and Model number of the engine (and that does not mean how many horsepower it has).
You could also let us know how you determined the battery to have "enough power to turn an engine" if your engine "does not turn at all anymore".
You might even describe to us some of the "issues you have been having for a few years" so we can ponder if any of that stuff could be related to the present issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here