Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 917.258912 wont start

Posted by skibo 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 14:42

I own a craftsman garden tractor 917.258912 with a Kolar 22 1/2 horse twinn, I only use it to haul a garden trailer because I live on a steep hill and can't get my truck to the back yard to unload fire stove pellets and other heavy things. Yesterday I had 12 bags of pellets in the trailer and was going up a rather steep hill and was about halfway up I started to spin the right tire and sudenly the engine stoped running. I tried to restart it but the starter woudn't even try to turn. I was on an incline to the left also at the time, I know my engine has an automatic low oil level shut off, is my engine toast or is there a reset for the low level shut off device?
skibo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 917.258912 wont start

Your engine does NOT have a low oil level switch.

Do you even get a click when you "manipulate" the seat switch with the key ON? The Operator Presence Relay should click ON/OFF when you do this.

IF totally "dead", I'd surmise the alternator shorted out, blowing the fuse. Thus no power to the fuel solenoid.
This engine (KOHLER) has a "Smart Spark" system which also requires 12V to operate.

At least check the fuse to see if it's blown.

o

Yes I do get a slight klick to the starter, some times as of yesterday after noon. I had not tried to restart the tractor today untill I received your follow up on this problem, I just returned from trying to restart the thing and it started right up like nothing ever happened. What gives here, to much weight, the oil was right up to the full mark, and I know it didn't over heat. Any solutions or ideas so as I can gard against this happening again will be greatly appreciated. I need this tractor for alot of hauling. Thanks for your help.
skibo

o

"Slight click"?
Typically, a bad connection in the crank circuit could cause this to happen intermittently.
Check the heavy battery cable connections and engine mounting bolts. The "ground" side of the circuit is just as important as the "positive" side.

o

Thanks for the reply I will put the tractor on the jack stands tomorrow to check things over. Again thanks.
skibo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here