Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Craftsman lawn tractor/all wheel steer?

rustyj14
13 years ago

Has any body had any work with one of these lawn tractors?

An old friend asked me to look at his, so i did. Have never seen that kind of layout.

He has had problems with one side of the axle/tranny/ u-joint axle parts. So, a piece of the outer end of the left rear axle broke off and fell out! About 2 inches long. He then had to lenghten the axle u-joint so it would mesh with the remaining part of axle shaft, that still had the splines on it.

This fix did work for a while, but now, the u-joint just spins on the end of the axle shaft, and there is no connection to the u-joint. Not having it apart, there is no way of seeing if the splines are gone in the u-joint, or the axle.

I think when he welded on the U-joint, it softened the steel, and the splines are gone in the joint. Hopefully.

Any way, he's going to dismantle that axle assembly, inspect the joint and axle, and he'll let me know what he needs, to fix it. And, i am hoping somebody here might have the parts we'll need. Don't know what, yet.

Model: 536-255870. 15 hp., 6 speed.

Way it looks, I'll need the left axle, the u-joint, and a lot of patience! And, maybe some more numbers.

How hard will it be to install/replace the broken axle? If i can find one. Could the axle be the same as a standard transmission? As on a front wheel steer type.

I'll inform you all when i get that brain teaser apart and fixed. IF!

Comments (9)

• bill_kapaun
    13 years ago

If you go to searspartsdirect.com, you can download the OM.
    It has an exploded view of the transaxle that "might" be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manual

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

As long as your friend didn't bugger things up too much, these aren't too hard to work on, but are expensive for parts. Tractor was made for Sears by Murray.

Transaxle is a conventional Peerless 930 (930-042) with special axle shafts. Sears and others say NLA, but others offer for around $400. The U-joint (320531MA) and the Hub (12280E701MA) are each around $100. Some of the other parts are available show NLA from Sears, but others may have them.

Cheapest fix might be to find a donor tractor for parts, or convert to a conventional 930 transaxle with long axles and go to two wheel steering. Transaxle mounts to frame the same, and with new wheels on end of shaft you should be good to go.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, thanks to all, as i checked with my local "parts for anything" retail shop. They informed me that the parts are available! U-joint costs $98, axle shaft is: $38.
    So, i called the owner, and informed him of my progress. When i told him the availability and list prices of the parts, he decided to try to fix it, first, without buying any parts!
    Well, him fixing it in the first place got him to this point, so I'm going to let him "fix" it some more!
    thanks to all who answered my questions, and for your advice. I'll let ya know how it all turns out.
    Rusty J.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Up-date: The owner dismantled the u-joint, and it was as i suspected. Welding on the U-joint took the temper out of the joint, and that super-hard axle took out the splines in the u-joint! He'll still need an axle, and a u-joint. The parts are around $125, plus tax.
    now, he wants to know if i think he could just weld the u-joint to the axle, and run it that way.
    I suppose he could try it,me never having any experience with those trannys. I offered him a used 6-speed tranny that might work, or i'd just buy the tractor, for parts.
    That was this afternoon, so its up in the air.
    I'll keep ya informed.

• JRM2012
    12 years ago

Hi!
    I have a 1990 Sears Craftsman II 4 wheel steer
    model C950-60922-0 with the Peerless 920-027 trans-axle
    with the 12hp engine. I searched every where for a parts list for the rear steering and didn't find anything. I was wondering if someone with a manual could tell me the part number for the rear axle u-joints. Info much appreciated.
    Bob

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

Your model numbers don't match Sears "convention".
    As in the first post it should be in the format-

XXX.YYYYYY as in

• JRM2012
    12 years ago

Thanks for your interest. That is the model number on the decal. I think it must be a Canadian model only. Sears doesn't cross it to a similar US model and has absolutely no info on it now.Noma made a 12/40 that looks the same. Luckily I found a supplier that sells those small u-joints by size.
    Thanks !
    Bob

• JRM2012
    12 years ago

After doing some research, I have the equivalent of a Noma 12/40, model #4012-0100 code 9215. It is almost impossible to find info on this model also.

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

320531 is the joint for the tractor mentioned in this thread.