Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smusaf60

Mower ID

smusaf60
11 years ago

A neighbor gave me an old broken riding mower. The transmission is broke. I took it apart and found whats broke but I can't find what transmission it is. The only markings on the casing is "MTD". On the mower itself, under the seat, is model# 189-465-084 C309D and
serial# 41-010 9485. Can anyone give some guidance where and how to identify this machine, transmission and where to find parts?

Comments (10)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Is it possible that it begins in 139? Rather than 189? Engine code/ spec #s/ DOM could indicate a year to start with.

• smusaf60
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It intirely could be 139, it's hard to read because the whole thing has been painted over the years. I took a pic of the transmission on my workbench for all to see what I'm working with. The broken piece seems to be a sort of collar...clutch collar?

• tomplum
    11 years ago

It could be useful to get some year info as noted above- a pic of the tractor too. I can't seem to recall being inside an MTD tagged right angle box before. Whether or not the shift collar is /was ever available remains to be seen. You can find Peerless R/A boxes yet I believe, but would be a challenge to mount up.

• smusaf60
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is everything I can find on the machine. On the body, under the seat is Model# 139-465-084 C309D, Serial# 41-010 9485. On the engine is, Item# 1826311, Type 1128-01, Code 78092710. On the transmission gear box casing is MTD. On the cowling over the engine it has
    Turf King 8/34.
    There is no indication of the manufacturer or the year made. I don't know where else to look.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Briggs engines are-
    Model- Type- Code.
    The MODEL# would be 6 digits for an 8 HP, so your "item#" is incorrect.
    The CODE says the engine was built Sept. 27, 1978
    Te TYPE is in the proper format, but meaningless without the proper MODEL#.

• mownie
    11 years ago

Well, according to the engine code, the engine was built by Briggs & Stratton on September 27, 1978.
    Whether that will help out in finding the other info is still unknown.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Duplicate because of a flaky internet connection- Ignore

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 2:09

• tomplum
    11 years ago

It looked to be an oldie by design. I rather doubt that this is a part that will be in the parts system anymore. But, there are several mower graveyards on the web. At least you know it is a 1979 model if the engine is original. I've found nothing on "Turf King" ride on product in my world. Have the part made perhaps? Locate a dealer with old microfiche that would be willing to help? Best of luck.

• mownie
    11 years ago

I tend to agree with tomplum's opinion on this.
    My own opinion goes like this.
    It is doubtful this machinery could be rehabilitated (in a cost effective manner) to the point of putting it back into regular service as a lawn mower.........unless another one like it can be found as a "parts donor" (or vice versa), and cheap.
    Now, if the machine has some great sentimental value that begs for repairing to running condition based on that personal and esoteric factor....then the ante might jump to a higher budget.
    tomplum suggested maybe having a replacement part made. One avenue to explore along that line of thought would be to check with high schools or vocational schools in the local region to see if the part might be fabricated by students in a machine shop class. I have been on both sides of that fence as I remember items being brought to our shop class in high school by students where a part was needed by a family relative or friend. Sometimes a visitor from the public would show up holding some broken piece of metal looking to get a new one made. Sometimes the piece was too "exotic" or complex for our shop tooling, or too advanced for our level and the instructor would deny the request, but if it was something pretty simple, he would OK it.
    I myself have had a few items made in the machine shop class at a nearby vocational school, but that was back in the 1980s. What with all the need for a police type security policy at schools in the "modern times" I would not expect you could just drive up to the shop class door and ask for the instructor like you could in the good ole days, but it is a thought to explore.
    In all the cases, no money was ever exchanged. If any material was needed, it was up to the "customer" to furnish that.

• smusaf60
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to thank the folks that added their guidance to my problem. I think it's come to the point that the thing needs to be parted out or mothballed. I'm sure someone cound use the engine for a go-cart or something. Again, thanks everyone. By the ay Bill, the model number is confirmed, copied straight from a sticker under the seat.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!