o
snow chains or tire studs??

Posted by wh312-8 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 19:31

which one is the best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snow chains or tire studs??

What is the Application for use . Automotive or Agricultural or Lumbering Sector lol . :)

o

Living in snow country, in W. Pa., i have found that chains are good for deep snow, but can't be expected to wear very well, if used for long distances. Especially at higher speeds. No experience with Cable Chains.
Tire studs are good for icy conditions, and can be run at higher speeds like 50 or so. PA. allows studs only between certain dates, but the studded tires must be removed in early Spring. And, not used in summer, at all.
the preceding applies to light trucks and cars.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 17:14

Since it's in the tractor section, I'll assume it chains on a tractor. Yes, I would use chains in any kind of snow or ice. If you get in deep snow, I think the chains no longer help.

Studded snows for cars are legal in PA from Nov. 1 thru about Apr.30. I have always used them on my van and I never heard about a maximum speed limit on them. They go 75 MPH with all the rest.

o

Trying to decide which is best for my tractor, i have seen people using studs before and i have a set of chains on one tractor. i live in RI so you never know what to expect.

o

Never Heard of Studs on Tractors , Chains were the norm back on the Farm , different pitch for different usage , Ice Snow or High speed & Low speed applications such as Plowing or Trailer (Logs /Wood) Hauling .

o

You wnat 2 link chains so ride be softer 4 link bumpy.

o

Don't recall the actual number of link configuration Gator , but definately remember that the proportional size and pitch of the larger snow chains certainly provided a very rough ride as you have indicated. Useless for any high rate of speed even "Tractor Speeds" but did the job when you had to get back into the gnarly stuff in the winter for firewood lol .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here