Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackfox68

Craftsman Lawn Tractor won't start

jackfox68
11 years ago

Hi all! I have a 19.5 Briggs and Stratton that will not start. Installed a brand new battery, replaced the ignition switch and cleaned all the terminals. When I turn the key I can hear a click or more like a tap which sounds like it is coming from the starter. It also feels like it is coming from the starter as well. I put my hand on it and can feel a tap when I try to turn it over. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (22)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

A few things to check-
    If the battery is 2 or more years old get it charged & load tested.
    They ARE suspect at that age.

IF it's a Briggs OHV engine, get the valve lash properly set.
    The compression release function requires it.

You might also want to pull the spark plug(s) and see if the cylinders have filled with fuel.

Posting the Sears 917.xxxxxx number and/or Briggs Model & Type #'s would allow us to know WHAT tractor and/or engine you have.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

Like Bill says, you need to do more checking, we can't see/feel it from here.

Walt Conner

• jackfox68
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry all, I should have more clear. The tractor won't turn over at all. The battery is brand new and starts another tractor just fine. What happens when I try to turn it over is I can hear a click coming from the starter.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Well, that answers 1 of 3 EASY things to check that I posted.
    Still doesn't answer any specifics about WHICH engine/tractor.

Apparently, you aren't in a hurry.

• jackfox68
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still looking for that info Bill.

• rcbe
    11 years ago

jackfox68 - try raising up the tilting seat of your tractor - look in the cavity below the seat bottom for a plate/decal that carries the mfgr's full model # (917.xxxxxx) and serial #.
    Similarly, look in the engine compartment for either a decal or a set of numbers stamped into the engine's cooling sheet metal shroud that give the model #, type #, etc....
    Post all that info here - will help the "experts" give you advice..

• jackfox68
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all - been straight out at work so just getting back to this post now. This is what I have.

Owner's Manual
    CRAFTSMAN �
    19.5 HP
    ELECTRIC START
    42" MOWER
    6 SPEED TRAN_RA-X-L-E
    LAWN TRAGT4 I
    Model No.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

The engine is a Briggs-
    42E707-2631-E1
    Which is an opposed twin (non OHV)

Try removing the spark plugs and see if it cranks.
    Ground the spark plug leads in case the cylinder(s) are full of gasoline. You don't want a spark at this time.

You may want to pull the dip stick and smell the oil for the presence of gasoline first.

• jackfox68
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I did some trouble shooting today and for the hell of it tried putting a set of jumpers on the battery. Guess what, it turned right over. Pulled them off and tried to start it again, no go. Hooked the battery up to another tractor and it started fine. Not sure why it would start one tractor and not another.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

The engine on the other tractor is likely easier to crank.
    You didn't specify WHAT the other motor is.

An opposed Briggs is pretty old. Chances are the starter motor has worn bushings & brushes. That will usually require the motor to draw more amps than it should.
    The Briggs is 42 cubic inches. How many is the "other"?

Why not try the "other" battery on this mower and see what happens?

• jackfox68
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That makes sense. I am not sure of the other size tractor, but it is smaller than mine so I am pretty sure the engine is not as big.

• jackfox68
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just as a follow up. Hooked it up to a car battery (with the car not running) and it would not start. However when I turned the car on it turned right over. Going to order a new starter, will let you know what the outcome is.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Likely outcome is you'll be back wondering why it still doesn't crank.
    Autozone et al will load test batteries.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

This is a common problem with this series of engine. I have a list of the most common causes IF you would like them. It is foolish to start putting new parts on before you know what the problem really is.

Address below, put in proper format and remind me, engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
    wconer at frontier dot com

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Also, make sure you have the battery connected to the cables correctly. If you connect it backwards, the starter will turn the wrong way, and the little starter gear will not rise up to meet the flywheel. That mis-connection sells lots of starters for the uninitiated! Red is + positive. Black is - Negative ,minus. And, do not buy any expensive parts, until you pick some brains of guys who know something about lawn tractors, etc., either locally, or here in these columns!

• PRO
    Elaine Hunter Photography
    9 years ago

I have the same issue every single year... just charged my battery... will turn over but not start, no gas gets to the engine. it is so very frustrating every year, i am single female... not got a handyman near by. battery is charged... will not kick in. i have a lot of grass to cut . guess i will have to try to find some help somewhere, i am sorry i bought this tractor , it has never started well and i would not recommend it.

• Justin Hull
    8 years ago

I have a variation of the engine wont start in two parts.

First I have a 917.255980 Craftsman Garden tractor, 19 hp 1993 model. Recently the primary deck belt broke and it took time to get a new one, but just today I replaced it. The battery is old, plan on replacing, but was able to get the engine started with a jump from my truck.

When I flipped the switch on the deck cutters the blades started up and I was off. About 20 minutes cutting in somewhat deep grass the deck just stopped working. At first I thought it was the belt again, but when I brought the tractor back to the garage, the belt was all in place. I had turned it off to check, but when I went to start the engine nothing happened. No click, no turn over, nothing.

I got my jumpers, hooked it into the truck and tried again, nothing. No click, no turnover. I am baffled why it was running and not 5 minutes later it wont do anything. Doe it have anything to do with the deck just stopping in the middle of a cut? Is the a fuse or harness connection I can giggle to get it working again?

• rexlex
    8 years ago

start from the edge. Take yer battery out, get it LOAD tested and while it's out, clean the cable connections to bright metal.

• biyd66
    8 years ago

I am having the same issue, 19hp Briggs OHV, tried a new selinoid, no go, I am hearing a click also when I turn the key, battery is new, I can place a screwdriver to connect the two bolts on the selinoid and it turns over, any suggestion what to do next?

• rexlex
    8 years ago

check your owners manual for a schematic. need to trace down why 12v is not getting to starter solenoid. could be cl/brake sw, ign sw or related wiring.

• matthewehall85
    8 years ago

Here's another Craftsman issue, I rolled the tractor after hitting a loose rock on a small incline, but flipped it back over in less than 30 seconds, but now it won't start, won't even crank. Checked and topped off oil, replaced 20 amp fuse (even though it hadn't tripped)Any ideas.

• rexlex
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

good chance engine cyl(s) hydrolocked. remove spark plug(s), turn engine over by hand to see if crankshaft will rotate freely. Make sure all parasitic loads are turned off (deck, tranny, etc.) rotate engine until cylinders are cleared. then change crankcase oil and filter along with fresh fuel. Replace plugs, etc.

Battery may have lost lost liquid during turnover. Remove same. If batt compartment is wet, JUDICIOUSLY neutralize with water/baking mix while taking batt to qualified shop for LOAD test. Gently flush batt compartment with water before re-installing batt. Allow to fully dry.

With know good batt and clean batt terminals, attempt to start engine normally. If probs, post back with details.

Sponsored