Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
715rose

left side not firing on John Deere 425 garden tractor

715rose
9 years ago

My John Deere 425 John Deere Garden Tractor runs but the left side of engine won't fire.Kawasaki V2 engine.New coil didn't help. Was told it could possibly be bad modular which will run over $300.Any ideas? Wayne

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Sometimes they won't run on 1 cylinder due to a valve issue / bent pushrod. Has spark itself been verified or is it just known that one side is not running?

• walt2002
    9 years ago

I am not familiar with the Kawa V twin but B&S and Kohler V twins both use a weird Kill wire harness wirh diodes in it. Before buying a $300 item, I would disconnect the Kill wire from the coil/module and see if runs on both cylinders then.

Walt Conner

• 715rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomplum,I tested wires that go to the coil.Light lit up & I changed coil but still wouldn't fire on left..Asked repair folks & they said it sounds like bad ignition module,around $300.If I can get somebody to haul it in they will test it out.If I find out I need ignition module I can order it online for $100.
    Wayne

• modemdad
    9 years ago

Hi,had it happen to me, was a bent valve and main stud had worked loose. also rocker had come off.......fixed cheap.,runs like a top now.It was a Kohler V twin 15 hp.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

You could really pull the valve cover of the non running cylinder and see what you can see. Or a 100$ for a known good part isn't too bad. It may pay off, or not. Then you would have a spare....

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner