Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonysw

Briggs & Stratton V-twin 30hp over heating

tonysw
9 years ago

Can anyone advise what is the normal operating temp for these engines. This engine is in a Husqvarna ride on mower and has an oil cooler. Runs on SAE30 oil. Certainly runs too hot...up to 220/230F at crank case and on end of oil filter taken with infrared digital thermometer.

Comments (2)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

I'm not convinced your temps are out of "ordinary", although they do seem to be a bit high.
    Unless you can compare to an identical machine......

You might want to remove the engine tins and clean any grass clippings that may have built up.
    A partially sheared fly wheel key can affect ignition timing and cause an engine to run hot.

Does the oil flow through the cooler after the filter, but before the bearings etc? That would drop the temp some.

Also, if you have room, you can use a longer oil filter which will increase oil capacity by a couple oz., but also provide more surface area for cooling.
    A NAPA 1516, Purolator L20195 or Motorcraft FL400A are 4.8" long and will meet the required specs.
    A NAPA Gold 1516 is THE same filter as a Wix 51516 or Carquest Blue 85516.

• tonysw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have been comparing with my old machine for 6 mths. Old machine just sold with 67hrs and new machine has only done 17hrs. Do use longer filter and have modified mounting plate for oil cooler by bending out from engine, drilling out plate to make more of a heat sink and spaced it out with bushes. Also removed small side panels to get more air flow. Husqvarna in their wisdom, have reduced the size of the cowling which puts it closer to the engine which could be half the problem. It's model GTH3052TF. It gets so hot that it is uncomfortable for my foot on the accelerator!