Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tractor advice

Posted by surveyor1 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 26, 11 at 7:16

I'm considering buying an International 154 with a front plow, manual tilt and hydralic lift. Also has a 60" mower deck. Has anyone have any experience with one like this. I have a 200 yard gravel drive and 5 acres of grass. Other option borrow fathers JD 855 and buy a snow blower for it.
Please advise!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tractor advice

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 26, 11 at 10:03

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's an "oldie but goodie." About '70 or so? Are you REAL handy? Something that old is going to need TLC. Are parts still available for those?

You might want to go to my tractor forum dot com and look around there, they have a section on International. Garden web doesn't allow a direct link to the above website, just put a "www." and skip the spaces and you'll get there.

Snowblowers and gravel drives are OK, IF you have a blade or something to level out the drive prior to snow season. Otherwise, you'll be spraying gravel all over.

Just as a frame of reference, I mow 5 acres and have a 1200 foot gravel drive on a hill. I have a Craftsman GT5000 with a dozer blade and it's served me well for over 10 years.

Most of those came with turf tires, Is your driveway level or on a hill? You may need chains which can be pricey for that size tire.

Again, if it's the one I'm thinking of, they were popular with Schools, city park departments, etc. as they typically came with 60" woods belly mowers. Try to get some history, you may be looking at a clean machine due to being garaged with super high hours on it.

Just MHO.

Good luck,

Ev

o

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 26, 11 at 13:30

I know this doesn't help much, but all that I've read on the 154, it's a good lawn mower but the 3-spd tranny/clutch was delicate. Don't know that it was much different than the std. Int'l Cub though. It's successor, the 184, was supposed to have a much more robust drive-train. See link

Here is a link that might be useful: Int'l 184

o

Concur. It was an updated cub lowboy(1968-74). Parts are still available from online sources, but you probably wont find any dealer help. John Deere 855 is much newer 1986-98) and quite abit more power 19 Pto horsepower vs 14 PTO HP. (Yanmar). I have used the Farmall version of the Cub, weak on HP but never encountered any transmission or clutch problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here