Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bwoodwar

L111 electrical problem

bwoodwar
9 years ago

Hello

I have a John Deere L111 that I bought used this past spring. I keep having the same strange problem that I was hoping somebody here could help me with.

First time I went to use my mower in the spring after I got it, I found that the battery was dead. The previous owners were surprised by this because they said that it was a relatively new battery. I took it to Autozone and they said the battery was bad, so I bought a new one. When I put the new battery in I could see the LCD display that shows usage hours (which wasn't working before) and I could hear a click when I turned the key, which I wasn't hearing before, but it still wouldn't start. I did a little research and found that this probably meant it needed a new solenoid, so I got one and installed it, and it worked. I used it weekly all summer without problem after this.

Then when I hit early fall when I no longer needed to mow every week and it sat idle for 3-4 weeks, I went out to start it and found that the battery was dead again. I took it to Autozone, and they once again said it was not only dead but bad, so I got another one brought it home. Once again, with the new battery it would click but not start. So I ordered another solenoid and put it in and it worked fine. I only used it one time - that was the last time I needed to mow.

Now I'm wanting to use it to help me get rid of some leaves, and the battery is once again dead. And once again Autozone said that it is bad. And I have a sinking feeling that if I replaced the battery I would find that it still wouldn't start without replacing the solenoid too, but I decided not to continue this vicious cycle until I figure out why this keeps happening.

I called a local repair place and they said that maybe it doesn't have a good ground. I just checked and it does look like it has a wire going from the solenoid to ground, and as far as I know it is on there correctly. Does anybody have a suggestion?? Does anybody know where I can see a picture/diagram of how all of the battery cables should be connected on this model? (Maybe I have something backwards?)

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

I don't have a schematic for an L111, but do for an L110.
    I have no idea if they are the same. I would expect IF they were, it would say L110/111.

My first thought is that you have a parasitic drain and/or grounding problems.
    It doesn't really make sense that the starter solenoids would be dying on you.
    What I would do-
    1. Make sure your grounds are good. Make sure your engine mounting bolts are tight, ground cables clean & tight etc.
    2. (Key OFF) Disconnect one of the battery cables and insert a small wattage test lamp in series with the cable & battery. IF it lights, you have a draw.
    IF it doesn't, insert an ammeter in series just to make sure any "draw" is too small to light the test light, but enough to slowly run down the battery over time.

IF you have a parasitic draw, I'd suspect a bad voltage regulator on the engine. Unplug it and see if you still have a draw.

I'm going of the L110 schematic, but that's the best I can do.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

I would like to reinforce the comment about making sure your grounds are good. Ever since the spring I found that three of the four bolts holding the engine to the frame were missing, part of my spring service it to check the bolts. During this time I make sure there is no debris clogging up the brake and similar areas.

There is one other thing that I would recommend that in the winter months you take your battery into the garage and put it on a trickle charger. It then never becomes discharged and possible freezing messing up the innards. I think at a minimum I would disconnect the battery during long periods of storage.

If I had three batteries that died within a year, I would question the source. While I hate to be suspicious, it sounds that the store has a pretty good deal selling you a new battery every year. Next time I would have some one else check the condition of the battery; just to be sure.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

FWIW, I think I paid around $20 for a battery tester from Harbor Freight or Northern, one of those. It load tests, and shows charging voltage , etc.

Since doing that battery issues are a thing of the past except for replacing truly dead ones.

Good luck,

Ev

• bwoodwar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestions everybody. Thanks!

I ended up buying a new battery (this time from Tractor Supply Co. instead of Autozone) and it worked. I also bought a trickle charger there and plan to keep the battery on that pretty much any time I'm going to let it sit for more than a couple of days.

The ground looks solid to me but I'll double check it.

Thanks!!

• suspicionofignorance
    9 years ago

Don't think you have found the problem yet.....seems to me, you have a 24/7 drain [small amperage]...and the trickle charger is merely feeding it...relieving the battery..I would definitely unplug the alternator harness or volt regulator connection...then let it sit untouched for a week ,
    with no charge from the charger...does battery survive ? i

• bwoodwar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right - I haven't really found the problem. For now I'm actually taking the battery out of the tractor and putting it directly on the charger when it sits idle. I figure this will keep me out of trouble until I have time to look into it deeper.

Thanks!
    Barry

Sponsored